VMware Horizon Community
acraiger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

External connections vmware view 4.5

External connections disconnect after 10 -15 seconds.

I have a security server setup for internet users.

I verified ports 80 and 443 are open on the firewall.

I can actually connect using the pcoip client, select the pool I want to connect to.

I hit connect, and it looks like it is going to work and see a black box, then it disconnects with the error box: "The connection to the remote computer ended."

Everything works internally, I can connect through the security server or the connection server with no problems.

I've read other post of users that had the same problem, and one of the solutions is to direct connections to no, but I cannot this setting anywhere in vmware view 4.5.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

View 4.5 supports RDP and PCOIP protocols for accessing the desktops. If you need to use PCOIP, then the client need to establish a VPN before starting the client. RDP would be able to support client connection from the WWW via Security Server.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

PCOIP does not work through the security server.

Sent from my iPhone

acraiger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Then I am completely lost then.

Then how exactly is a user supposed to connect securely?

Do they not use the vmware view client?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

View 4.5 supports RDP and PCOIP protocols for accessing the desktops. If you need to use PCOIP, then the client need to establish a VPN before starting the client. RDP would be able to support client connection from the WWW via Security Server.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you connect remotely through the security server (or the connection server) you're limited to RDP connections. The RDP traffic is tunneled via an SSL connection to the security (connection) server, which in turn make the connection to the VM. Take a look at the architecture doc - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view45_architecture_planning.pdf.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

View 4.5 supports RDP and PCOIP protocols, however, you can use a tunneled connection only for RDP protocol. PCoIP uses only direct connection between View Client and View Agent (Connection Server is used just to authentication and to select an available desktop).

When you use PCoIP from outside the network, the View Client bypasses the Security Server, because Security Server doesn't support UDP traffic.

If you want to use PCoIP to remote connections, you need to use VPN. You can alternatively use tunneled RDP connection to remote users.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think the other posters have done a great job of explaiing why PCOIP does't work from the Security server. I just wanted to add that at some point we should see PCOIP over a Security Server as a supported configuration. I haven't heard any dates but it was in use at the VMworld labs.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

acraiger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help.

Now I think I remember when first setting my lab that I was going to need a vpn connection for external user's if you want to use pcoip.

While I was writing this I think I figured out a semi solution using rdp.

The problem is their is little documentation on how to use rdp with the vmware view client.

My solution was to start the vmware view client from a command prompt using the switch:-desktopprotocol rdp

Below is the path with the command I used.

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\bin> wswc -desktopprotocol rdp

This starts up the vmware client, but uses the rdp protocol instead of pcoip protocol.

Their are a few more switches that might be useful.

So I guess I will create a shortcut with the switch, or see if my boss wants to setup a vpn for 300 users.

Thanks again for the quick response.

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also remember that encapsulating an UDP protocol in a TCP stream CAN be a perfomance issue ..

0 Kudos
acraiger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm slowly starting to understand how VMware view works.

I did not to use the switch for the view client, so I set the pool to use Microsoft RDP only.

So now all user's connect using rdp.

To the previous poster SDO, so which is better for performance?

vpn? or rdp?

I really do not want to have to manage 600 vpn connections for each user to connect.

I now have one more issue, which I think start a new post for.

I want to be able to use voip phones for users working at home, and it looks like the only way to get a microphone is to use a usb headset.

But the sound coming from the usb headset is horrible.

Thanks again for the help

0 Kudos