VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Experience with Zero clients

Hi,

Just wondering how everyones experience has been using zero clients? I have been testing a particular one (I won't mention the company name, but it's not Wyse) and have been having some issues. I'm running the latest 3.3.1 firmware. One of my issues is the zero client gets hot. The support team said its normal for them to feel warm. The main issue is out of the blue while working, the screen will just go black. The monitor isays its entering power save mode. I can turn off the zero client, or unplug it, from that point on, I get nothing on the screen. If I leave it off for 20 minutes or so, it will start to work again. Seems like its overheating, but I can't believe this is "normal".

I wanted the Wyse P20 but the cost is too high for my budget.

Has anyone tried the EVGA PD02 or the Pano Zero Client? Those are 2 other ones that I'm currently considering

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yep, we're using Dual Monitors with it (I'm currently using one with Dual 22" at 1920x1080), and it has worked flawlessly. We did update the firmware as soon as we got it to the latest version instead of whatever it shipped with.

Retail pricing-wise, the EVGA PD02 is >$100 cheaper then the Wyse P20. We were less than impressed with our Wyse reps, but you probably have different ones.

The PD02 does get very, very, very hot though.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i've being using samsung zero client with LCD. it's working great all this while ..

VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the NC240? I really like that one too but it's even costs more than the P20 lol

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yeah we sold because t has with embedded LCD and the cool factor of all in 1 .. 😄

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The EVGA PD02 is great, and I think the form factor is pretty neat. It's a lot cheaper than Wyse/Dell, too.

My only complaint is that the unit can get pretty hot (heat gun measured parts of the outer case at ~110 degrees). Vendor claims this is because the unit was designed to act as a heat sink.

We shied away from the Samsung all-in-one, because we anticipate the zero client lifespan to last longer than a monitor lifespan.

sshamilt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm also testing out Zero clients.

I'm afraid I might have a larger budget that yourself as I've been testing the Wyse P20 and Samsung NC240. Both superb clients! I've not been happy with some of the Windows embedded clients as I find that they just don't perform as well as these guys. My users require a lot of multimedia access and this just isn't possible on non-sero clients.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks everyone...appreciate the replies

Eeg, sounds like what my vendor told me in regards to the heat issue. Only yours seem to be working. Have you used dual monitors with it? I may have to request a trial of the PD02

We have a ton of 17" and 20" monitors, so the samsung are for sure out of the question for me. I really the Wyse P20.

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yep, we're using Dual Monitors with it (I'm currently using one with Dual 22" at 1920x1080), and it has worked flawlessly. We did update the firmware as soon as we got it to the latest version instead of whatever it shipped with.

Retail pricing-wise, the EVGA PD02 is >$100 cheaper then the Wyse P20. We were less than impressed with our Wyse reps, but you probably have different ones.

The PD02 does get very, very, very hot though.

0 Kudos