VMware Horizon Community
RaspberryDE
Contributor
Contributor

Executing VMware Horizon Client on Raspbian Linux don't work!

Hello at all,

I have install the current Version of the VMware Horizon Client (5.2) on the current Raspbian Buster Distro.

The installation went smoothly. The subsequent scan was also error-free and the scan shows succesfull on all.

But now after the Installation I can not start the Client on the VMware Horizon Client Icon. I get only the hourglass which disappears after a short time.

I also tried to start the client  (vmware-view as command) via the console I there I will get this error:

/usr/bin/vmware-view: Zeile 167: /usr/lib/vmware/view/bin/vmware-view: Kann die Binärdatei nicht ausführen: Fehler im Format der Programmdatei

Does anyone have a Idee or Solution for that?

Thank you and Greetz!

17 Replies
RaspberryDE
Contributor
Contributor

Can anybody help me please?

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

According to the release notes VMware Horizon Client 5.2 for Linux Release Notes  Horizon Client for Linux 5.2 is supported on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B devices that are installed with ThinLinx Operating System (TLXOS) or Stratodesk NoTouch Operating System. Ubuntu and RHEL are listed, however Raspbian Buster not .

You could go for Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi and install the latest Horizon Client.

VMware's own Raspberry Pi3 compatible Photon OS Downloading Photon OS · vmware/photon Wiki · GitHub  is not listed in the product interoperability matrix VMware Product Interoperability Matrices .

RaspberryDE
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response.

I have now tried to install an Ubuntu version developed for the Raspberry pi4. Where can I find VMware Horizon View for ARM processors?

I need a version with pcoip support.

I have already exported the following client from the download area and get the following error message:

https://my.vmware.com/de/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=CART19FQ4_LIN32_410&productId=578&rPId=295...

/usr/bin/vmware-view: line 126: /usr/lib/vmware/view/bin/vmware-view: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Greetz

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

my bad, I'm not experienced with VMware Horizon Client on ARM processors setups.

Edited:

From a referral point of view for production support of VMware Horizon Client on Raspberry Pi4 the listed setups are from Thinlinx and from Stratodesk. You may find additional, especially hands-on-lab information in these bloggers articles:

- Michael Rebmann's https://www.cloud13.ch/2019/08/15/raspberry-pi-4-the-ultimate-thin-client/

- Jeremy Ey's https://quirkyvirtualization.net/2019/10/31/fun-in-the-lab-with-vmware-and-a-raspberry-pi/

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
RaspberryDE
Contributor
Contributor

This it not a solution for me sorry. Does anyone running any VMware Horizon Client on Ubuntu or Raspbian for Raspberry Pi4 with his own Image (Clean Installation of the OS)?

I do not want to use Thinlinx or Stratodesk and want to build my own OS with the VMware Horizon Client on it.

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

If you are familiar with ARM setups which install recipe of VMware Horizon Client on Raspbian did you use? There are not many but a few ARM related setups of VMware Horizon Client. Did you make some findings on Raspbian with a dockerized Android image? Some community projects seen successfully implemented a dockerized VMware Horizon Client image, implemented the Horizon Client 4.3 release in their Raspberry Pi3 thin client project, etc. The performance related findings in Michael Rebmann‘s and Jeremy Ey‘s blogs are some bottom line not to forget as the hardware is in progress.

0 Kudos
dm27408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You downloaded a binary for x86 32-bit. Raspberry is ARM 32-bit, so it cannot work. Try the latest tarball distribution from Download VMware Horizon Clients which contains ARM 32-bit binaries as well. See VMware Horizon Client 5.4.1 for Linux Release Notes for installation instructions.

0 Kudos
martinturner
Contributor
Contributor

There isnt an ARM version of the Horizon client available anymore. Both TLXOS and Stratodesk use a custom version of the client which they presumably develop in house (I assume vmware assist somewhere), neither of which are free. There USED to be an open source version of the client which you could compile for ARM but this hasn't been around for long enough that it no longer works with modern Horizon.

I too would love to be able to use the horizon client on a Pi board, but its not going to happen without paying for a license to one of the above OSs (and then you lose all the rest of your OS).

0 Kudos
dm27408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do you explain this, then?

$ wget https://download3.vmware.com/software/view/viewclients/CART21FQ1/vmware-view-client-linux-5.4.1-1598...
--2020-06-25 23:34:39--  https://download3.vmware.com/software/view/viewclients/CART21FQ1/vmware-view-client-linux-5.4.1-1598...
Resolving download3.vmware.com (download3.vmware.com)... 2a02:26f0:d8:383::2ef, 2a02:26f0:d8:3a1::2ef, 23.197.104.28
Connecting to download3.vmware.com (download3.vmware.com)|2a02:26f0:d8:383::2ef|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 536332426 (511M) [application/x-octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘vmware-view-client-linux-5.4.1-15988340.tar.gz’

vmware-view-client-linux-5.4. 100%[=================================================>] 511.49M  35.7MB/s    in 15s

2020-06-25 23:34:54 (34.1 MB/s) - ‘vmware-view-client-linux-5.4.1-15988340.tar.gz’ saved [536332426/536332426]

$ tar xzf ./vmware-view-client-linux-5.4.1-15988340.tar.gz
$ cd vmware-view-client-linux-5.4.1-15988340/ARM/armhf
$ tar xzf VMware-Horizon-Client-5.4.1-15988340.armhf.tar.gz
$ cd VMware-Horizon-Client-5.4.1-15988340.armhf/lib/vmware/view/bin
$ file vmware-view
vmware-view: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.17, stripped
0 Kudos
straydogg1980
Contributor
Contributor

So where do I go from here?  How do I open the VMWare Horizon Client GUI?

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

A VMware Horizon Client on ARM setup is explicitly listed in the 2006 releasenotes in deployment instructions ("CPU instruction set architecture, i386, x64, or ARM"). The tar with the 2006-8.0.0-16522670.armhf binaries must be processed accordingly to the description. Horizon Client 64bit is supported on 64bit Ubuntu 20.04. In releasenotes in 'building dependendies' there are additional hints for building AND running horizon client. Haven't tinkered around with it yet, but VMware ARM apps have more support than some months ago.

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can NOT make vmware-view work in raspbian "buster", finally,

I had installed version 2006 on raspberry pi running ubuntu 18.04 lts and it works like a charm.

0 Kudos
marcmeno
Contributor
Contributor

ive installed 2006 on Ubuntu and i get the following...

manager@manager-desktop:~/Downloads$ sudo vmware-view
/usr/bin/vmware-view: line 105: /usr/lib/vmware/view/bin/vmware-view: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

rPi 4

0 Kudos
Albertovich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I didnt mention, but, the Ubuntu must be a 32 bits version.

A X11 window session must be installed also, i had used LXDE desktop.

0 Kudos
aydinfatoglu
Contributor
Contributor

i configured my environment just like u did but not working did u use tarball version or the bundle 

my stuff :

device: rpi4 b

image : ubuntu-18.04.5-preinstalled-server-armhf+raspi4.img.xz

desktop : LXDE desktop.

client : VMware-Horizon-Client-2006-8.0.0-16522670.x86.bundle setup (not tar.gz)

0 Kudos
aydinfatoglu
Contributor
Contributor

AT LAST !

Me and my team mate made it guys! It work on rpi4 with Raspbian Bullseye 32 bit armhf. Give it a try !

More info is on my github page 

https://github.com/AydinFatoglu/Horizon7-ThinClient-RPi4

KUDOS Pls! 😄

maksym007
Expert
Expert

good to know that this is working

0 Kudos