VMware Horizon Community
danh2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Event Logs vs. Syslogs

Under Event Configuration, there is a spot to setup an event database and a spot to setup syslogging.

What is the difference?

I am thinking that having the syslog server setup would be better?

Thanks, Dan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think the decision lies in what you are more comfortable with and what you may already have setup.   The users who are upgrading from previous versions that already have events databases configured may stay with that where as someone who is new and has existing syslog infrastructure may opt for that method. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think the decision lies in what you are more comfortable with and what you may already have setup.   The users who are upgrading from previous versions that already have events databases configured may stay with that where as someone who is new and has existing syslog infrastructure may opt for that method. 

0 Kudos
danh2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, so thery both log the same thing then.  Perfect.  Thanks!

Thanks, Dan
0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

danh2010 wrote:

OK, so thery both log the same thing then.  Perfect.  Thanks!

sweet - I did not know that 5.2 moved away from requiring a database for events logging - syslog strikes me as a MUCH better alternative ....

0 Kudos
danh2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It doesn't....I just swapped one of my View servers and it alerted me that I don't have an event db in place.

That's ridiculous.  If I am logging by syslog, why should it care if I don't have an events db in place?

Thanks, Dan
0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

danh2010 wrote:

It doesn't....I just swapped one of my View servers and it alerted me that I don't have an event db in place.

That's ridiculous.  If I am logging by syslog, why should it care if I don't have an events db in place?

ahhh ...

well then it must be as it has been: events logging is very detailed, and correlates user and desktop activity, and etc ...

I think syslog is more general "system level" logging that does not capture user and/or desktop level activity ....

*I think*

0 Kudos
danh2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've got them both turned on now.  Our auditors are sticklers.

Thanks, Dan
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Page 122 of the install guide, http://pubs.vmware.com/view-52/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/horizon-view-52-installation.pdf, states "You can generate View events in Syslog format so that the event data can be accessible to analytics software".     It sounds to me like it would be the same information.   Maybe once someone has it setup and working correctly they can confirm the consistency of the data between events database and syslog format.  

0 Kudos
danh2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, but once the Log to File is enabled, will View automatically send this info to the syslog server AND not generate an alert for the Event db?

My tests show no, still alerts.

Thanks, Dan
0 Kudos