VMware Horizon Community
John_Getzke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error during provisioning - View Composer Invalid Parent VM Fault

Hello,

I noticed this morning that our View Admin console was displaying the following message for several pools:

"Error during provisioning:  View Composer Invalid Parent VM Fault: Selected snapshot on parent VM is not found on VC"

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
John_Getzke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I found this KD which helped explain more info about the error:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200841...

The steps did not resolve my problem but it did point me in the right direction.  All I had to do was re-enable provisioning for the pools and the error message went away.  Not sure how provisioning got disabled in the first place, perhaps it was a fluke from running backups over the weekend.

John_Getzke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My problem has come back for the same pools.  Under further observation I noticed that enabling provisioning only works for a few minutes at most, which is not enough time to complete the provisioning process.

When I look at the Errror Events log I can see there is a problem with the Connection Server.  The message reads:

Provisioning error occured for machine V-xxxxxxxxx: Cloning failed for machine.

It seems like View is losing track of the resources that it needs to create new VM's for these pools.  If I create a brand new pool everything works fine.  For example I created a pool yesterday with 5 VMs and one spare before I entitled anyone to the pool.  This has served as my temporary work around until I can repair the main pools.

Any ideas on what could be wrong or where to start looking?

0 Kudos
John_Getzke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was researching similar problems on the VM forums and found a few threads that suggested rebooting VCenter.  We completed those steps and re-enabled provisioning for the pools.  Thankfully the pools were able to provision new VM's and have been stable ever since. Not sure how this could have happened considering that we normally reboot the whole system atleast once per month for maintenance purposes.

0 Kudos