VMware Horizon Community
chrishos
Contributor
Contributor

Error code '1603'.

I'm attempting to install VMware Horizon Client for Windows 2203 on both a Windows 11 box and two Windows 10 boxes. All boxes continue to exhibit the same "Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code '1603'. Check the logs for more details." when attempting to install VMWare Client.

The install runs all the way to 100% then reports "Failed." Digging through the logs showed the 1603 error. 

I have suspended my antivirus and firewall, I have run as an administrator with minimum installation options selected. 

I've dug through the user groups and none of the posted solutions fix my problem. 

Microsoft KB suggests: 

You may receive this error message if any one of the following conditions is true:

• Windows Installer is attempting to install an app that is already installed on your PC.
  • The folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is encrypted.
  • The drive that contains the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.
  • The SYSTEM account does not have Full Control permissions on the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to. You notice the error message because the Windows Installer service uses the SYSTEM account to install software.

However, none of the listed conditions are true. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

-Chris <>< 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hkraaijeveld
Contributor
Contributor

This might be a KB to follow in troubleshooting this issue:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1031302

This might also be applicable:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2075193

0 Kudos
chrishos
Contributor
Contributor

I have resolved this issue. I use ZoneAlarm firewall/antivirus and while that application provides a "snooze" function for both, I was only successful after I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and then tried the installation again. This was a success on two Win10 boxes. 

Thanks for your help. 

-Chris <><