VMware Horizon Community
Mark808
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error: Microsoft Windows Print to PDF does not exist. - But it is listed in Printers and Scanners.

How do you get virtual printers such as the Windows 10 "Microsoft Windows Print to PDF" (native to the OS) or "Adobe PDF" (loaded as as AppStack) virtual printers to work in a Horizon Client VM?

Anyone else have, or has solved, this problem?

On my system they appear in Devices "Printers and Scanners" but not in the printer pick list of applications (such as Notepad or Word), and trying to do any management at the workstation level throws either a "Does Not Exist" or "0x00000709" Error.  Very odd.

The problem does not appear when consoling into the same golden Image used to spawn the Horizon 7 clients.

Printing to network and USB attached printers works fine.

Environment: Win 10 ent., Horizon 7.0.3 Instant clones, AppVolumes 2.12 with writable volumes, and UEM 9.1.0

0 Kudos
1 Reply
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I started having the problem with "Microsoft Print to PDF" when I upgraded from App Volumes 2.11 to 2.12.  I ended up having to modify the snapvol.cfg in my appstacks to exclude a registry tree that makes printers work:

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print

Once I added that and updated the appstack, the problem stopped occurring.

However, I imagine that doing that may keep printers you have deployed via Appstack to not work (e.g, your Adobe PDF Printer).

0 Kudos