VMware Horizon Community
Rob_Lisi
Contributor
Contributor

Error 28030. The installer failed to install the USB driver.

I'm trying to install the view 4 agent (4.0.0-210939) on a Windows 7 64bit guest. I know this is still experimental on this guest OS but I get the following error "Error 28030. The installer failed to install the USB driver." My Vm tools is version 4 update 1. Has anyone gotten this to work?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
lakerdude
Contributor
Contributor

Run the installer via the command line "VMware-viewagent-e.x.p-xxxxxxx.exe", it works.

0 Kudos
Andy61
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am having the exact same problem. I tried running it from the command line, but the command line opens the gui install and then still fails with Error 28030, The installer failed to install USB driver.....

I retried to install from the command line using /a and creating a new folder for the install and the installer completed.

0 Kudos
ckeithley360
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue as well on the x64 system. I've command lined with the /a and then tried to run the installation from c:\temp\vmware view agent and then it can't find msvcp71.dll in the system32 folder but its there. . I've tried it with the quiet install switch and that didn't work either. Possible to post the command as you used it? Assistance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Andy61
Contributor
Contributor

All I did was run the executable witht he /a switch. For what its worth I am now rolling out a test Windows 7 x86 VM, will let you know how that goes.

0 Kudos
ckeithley360
Contributor
Contributor

Well then you just extracted the contents of the .exe to a location that you specified. It didn't actually install anything. It breaks apart the .exe and exposes the VMware View Agent .msi file along with it supporting content files. Thats what did when I ran the /a. I'll keep modifying as well to see if I can get it to work.

0 Kudos
parid
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same symptoms with the origonal install (and with the admin install, which is the /a option). The install goes through fine if the USB redirection option is unselected.

If I install from the admin install it gives me a more specific error about missing "msvcp71.dll". I did not find this dll anywhere in the installer our on my system. Thats probably why its failing.

0 Kudos
nkrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am getting the exact same error with the missing msvcp71.dll after creating an administrative network install point. I am using a Windows XP 32-bit guest, so it has nothing to do with OS version. I am going to try to extract the data.cab file and then see if I can find this missing file in the cab. Since the install .exe works, either the file must be there, or there is an old reverence that someone forgot to remove in the .msi file which can possibly be fixed by orca...

0 Kudos
nkrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It appears that the /a option to create an administative install point is bad. The contents of the embedded SVIAgent.cab file are not being extracted. You can manually extract all the files (and name them properly) into the system32 folder of your administrative install point, or just use the .msi and .cab files that are embedded in the .exe directly.

To get to the embedded files, open up %temp% in Windows Explorer (you may want to clean up it to make things easy), then execute the view agent install .exe file. The .exe will place a .msi, 8 .cabs, and instmsiw.exe into a folder in your temp directory. You can either extract the contents of the SVIAgent.cab and put them in your administrative install point, or just take these files, and put them in your network location (remove the admin install point files) and you should be good to go.

0 Kudos
ckeithley360
Contributor
Contributor

I'm really trying to follow and do what your suggesting but its just not working out. Would it be possible to provide better direction if you got it to work. What does "manually extract the files, name them properly mean whats the proper name"? System 32 folder got it I understand that of the admin install point. Looked for the SVIAgent.cab and its not there.

Opended the %temp% directory check, clean up what? View agent.exe got it check, see the .msi check, no 8 cabs, 5 folders, no 8 cabs.

I want this to work and I'm stoked you have a solution would be possible to just line it out in a bit more detail. I feel like I'm close and I get what your saying just all the pieces aren't there for me.

0 Kudos
nkrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure, sorry I was not clear.

1. open %temp% in windows explorer and delete everything you can

2. run the .exe file that you downloaded from VMware - DO NOT CLICK "next"

3. without doing anything (while the setup is still running) find the folder that contains the .msi and .cab files in the %temp% folder

4. remove the existing files at your network location (administrative install point)

5. copy the.msi and .cab files to your network location

Alternatively, once you have the .cab files, you can extract the missing files from the SVIagent.cab, making sure that you remove extraneous information from the file name.

I found that I had to do the same thing for the View Client install as it was also "messed up" and did not extract all the proper files.

I have used this method many times in the past with other applications that have embedded .msi files and do not support the /a option.

0 Kudos
rainer_schumach
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've got the same problem. I've followed the processes as described in the answers above, but it dosn't work. Do you have any suggestions / advice to get this working?

Thanx in advance

Rainer

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

64-Bit OS is currently not supported with the View Agent. The USB driver is 32-Bit.

Regards,

Christoph

Don't forget to award the points if this answer was helpful for you.

Blog:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth |

0 Kudos
bluedevils
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Enable windows update service and try

0 Kudos