AicoHoekman
Contributor
Contributor

Entitling users for VMware View desktop in child domain

Hi,

Our network environment is currently set up as follows:

- Active Directory domain A

- Active Directory domain B

No trust available between both domains.

To enable the possibility to deploy VM's to both domains we've created a 3rd Active Directory domain (C) in which we placed our VMWare View connection servers and the Virtual Center server. We've also established trusts between the domains (A to C and B to C).

The problem we are now having is the following:

We've created a 4th child domain (D) under domain A. We want to entitle users from this child domain to use the VM's created in domain A, however the child domain doesn't appear in the entitlements tab in the VMWare View administration.

I've already experimented by setting up a two-way external trust between domain C and D, but this doesn't solve the problem.

Do you have any ideas on how to get the child domain showing up in the entitlement options for my new View Pool?

Best regards,

Aico

0 Kudos
4 Replies
stanyarbroughjr
Contributor
Contributor

AicoHoekman:

I would think that you need a vCenter Server and Composer for each domain with a user account that has full rights to create your desktops within each of the respective domains.  Once the pools are complete, the Entitlements dialog for the pool should give access to both domains and permit the entitlement of any user or group from either.  I am not sure that a transitive trust to a single domain is going to help you.  I am sure that your Composers must have an AD account in each domain that you want to provide entitlements from.

Stan

0 Kudos
AicoHoekman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The solution seems very simple as turns out. Smiley Happy

I just needed to reboot the VMWare View Connection server after I set up the trust. The domain now appears in the entitlement section.

Thank you for your help.

Aico

0 Kudos
stanyarbroughjr
Contributor
Contributor

This is really good information and applicable at a customer for me.  Thanks you for sharing.  Can you tell the thread if you have full functionality in this configuration - any gotchas, etc?

Stan

0 Kudos
AicoHoekman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stan,

As it looks now I seem to have full functionality. I'm able to entitle users from my domain D to use a pool of desktops that are being created in domain A. I've done some tests by logging on to the Virtual Desktops and everything works just fine. The View clients detect the D domain perfectly.

I do find it a bit strange that I need to put up a trust to domain C from domain D. I would imagine that Domain D has a transitive trust to Domain C seeing that D is a child domain from domain A, but somehow the View Connection servers don't work that way. A direct external trust is the way to go for this setup.

If I have any other findings, good or bad, I'll post them here,

Regards,

Aico

0 Kudos