VMware Horizon Community
jjohnsonclt
Contributor
Contributor

Enabling host cache on existing desktop pool

My question is if I enable it on an existing pool do I have to reboot all of the desktops in that pool to have any benefit or will there be a benefit to rebooting some of them.

I just found this feature and we a have a manual pool of 44 desktops.  I just enabled the cache and set it to blackout period of 7:00 to 22:00.  I left it at the default of 7 days of recache.  I set it to the max of 2 gb. We have plenty of available memory/ (3 80 GB hosts HP DL360 G8s)

If I reboot some of them now, will the others that get rebooted in the next couple days get the same benefit before the 7 days before a recache. They are all the same image.

These desktops were composed using NetApp flexclones and not View Composer.

Any insight is very much appreciated.

Jeff

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jeff,

To allow the existing desktops to take advantage of the View Storage Accelerator they will need to be powered off to allow it to be enabled. Once enabled the desktops can be powered back on.

This power off needs to be done with each desktop before a given desktop will be able to use the cache.

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
jjohnsonclt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mike

So I powered off the desktop and I dont see a digest file.  At what point does it get created.  I thought it was upon bootup from what I saw on a video.  That was on a View Composer new pool though.

I even created a test pool and placed the individual desktop in there with no restrictions on blackout period.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Vdiallstar
Contributor
Contributor

You can enable it at two locations.

- thoo pool configuration or as a global setting on view administrator. If you browse the storage of a vm that's been rebooted can you see a digest file there?

Paul

0 Kudos