VMware Horizon Community
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enable host caching not possible

I try to enable Host Caching to try this new feature in View 5.1

But when I go to the settings in the Vmware View Administration console, I see the following error:

Host Caching is unavailable because vSphere 5.0 or higher is required

But all my vSphere hosts are running on vSphere 5.0 update 1 !

Does anyone know what I can do to get this feature enabled ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Sometimes it can take a little while before the checkbox is available, so please wait a minute or two.

If this is still a problem contact VMware support and be prepared to send in logfiles from the View Connection Broker.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

hope you are also running VMFS 5 and not VMFS3 ? Could it be that?

Best regards, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". Please visit my blog at http://vmblog.co.za
0 Kudos
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, Still VMFS3, but I cannot find that VMFS5 is a requirement for Host Cache ?!

0 Kudos
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Verify that your vCenter Server and ESXi hosts are version 5.0 or later.

In an ESXi cluster, verify that all the hosts are version 5.0 or later.

Verify that the vCenter Server user was assigned the Global > Act as vCenter Server privilege in vCenter Server. See the topics in the VMware View Installation documentation that describe View Manager and View Composer privileges required for the vCenter Server user.

In View Administrator, complete the Add vCenter Server wizard pages that precede the Host Cache Settings page.

a

Select View Configuration > Servers.

b

In the vCenter Servers tab, click Add.

c

Complete the vCenter Server Information, View Composer Settings, and View Composer Domains pages.

On the Host Cache Settings page, select the Enable host caching for View check box.

Specify a default host cache size.

The default cache size applies to all ESXi hosts that are managed by this vCenter Server instance.

The default value is 1,024MB. The cache size must be between 100MB and 2,048MB.

To specify a different cache size for an individual ESXi host, select an ESXi host and click Edit cache size.

a

In the Host cache dialog box, check Override default host cache size.

b

Type a Host cache size value between 100MB and 2,048MB and click OK.

On the Host Cache Settings page, click Next.

Click Finish to add vCenter Server, View Composer, and Host Cache Settings to View.

Best regards, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". Please visit my blog at http://vmblog.co.za
0 Kudos
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does not list a requirement for VMFS5 ?

0 Kudos
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yea,

its weird that you can not enable this feature if you have all the requirements...

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Have you enabled it on the vCenter Server settings?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linjo, do you mean in the Vmware View Admin Console ??

That is the place where I get this message.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

So there are two places, on the vCenter Server settings and on the pool itself.

I was thinking that maybe you got the error when creating the pool.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

i enabled host caching on the pool. then i powered off the vms and back on but they still how host caching is off

0 Kudos
chillware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am seeing the same thing, I enabled host caching in vcenter settings and at the pool level, powered off VM's, i saw vcenter did a "Configure virtual disk digest" and powered the VM's back on, but in View in the VM properties it still shows Host Caching: Off..

Why would this be?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
mmStifford
Contributor
Contributor

Replying to an old thread but for the benefit of googlers, I had a similar issue and it boiled down to "automated" Windows Firewall rules in vcenter. Some like HTTPS access to vCenter were only applied to the "Public" profiles ?! To test, I switched off the firewall completely and was able to add vCenter and set the Host Cache Settings.

0 Kudos
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please note that I am Out of Office Please contact Mosa Tladi on +27 11 516 2453 ( mosa.tladi@execujet.co.za ) for any other queries.

<http://corporate-brochure.execujet.net/>

NOTICE - This message and any attachments thereto contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate copy or take any action in reliance on it or on any of its attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify us by email legal@execujet.eu or telephone +41 44 804 1616 and destroy this email and its attachments and any copies thereof. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the view of the ExecuJet Aviation Group, its subsidiaries or associates, as applicable.

This email and its content and any attachments thereto do not constitute any legal or tax advice and should not be relied upon as such. No employee or agent of ExecuJet Aviation Group is authorised to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of the ExecuJet Aviation Group, its subsidiaries or associates with another party by email except if made or confirmed by duly authorised signatories in writing.

0 Kudos