VMware Horizon Community
PDicky
Contributor
Contributor

Embedded windows and auto login to Vmware client via shell change

Hello Everyone,

More questions the more I dig into VmView... I have setup an Embedded Windows client to auto login to the VmView login screen using this

Problem is when they disconnect is just sits at a blank screen and you have to ctrl - alt - delete and log off the embedded windows client to get back to the VmView login screen.... Anyone find a way around this without a software client (free client would be okay : ) )

Thank you everyone!

Paul

0 Kudos
6 Replies
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I wrote this utility:

which is incredibly simple in that you just specify it in the registry for the shell, as per the article you reference, along with the command line you want to run. When it launches after (automatic) logon, it fires the command line you give it, waits for it to exit and then fires it again (and again and again). Your "shell" registry value would be something along the lines of:

c:\path\shelly.exe +"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\bin\wswc.exe"

I'm about to post a slightly improved version with more window control but it's free and certainly does the job - I've been using it for years on some legacy laptops which are now used as thin clients.

Guy Leech

VMware vExpert 2009

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Updated version now available -

Guy Leech

VMware vExpert 2009

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
PDicky
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

So I have tried this a few times and I'm not getting the results I expected...

This is what I have done let me know what I'm missing please : )

1. Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1

2. Place seclaunch.exe into a folder c:\ISD

3. Modify HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon from Explorer.exe to this

c:\ISD\seclaunch.exe -s *"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\bin\wswc.exe"

So now it loads right into the VmView client but if I use the disconnect it still takes me back to a desktop screen and I have to ctrl alt delete and log off.... Which then takes me back to the VmView screen... I'd like for the disconnect to take me directly to the VmView screen as to avoid the log off part.

Thanks

0 Kudos
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sounds like you've set it up right - it wouldn't run and thus launch the View client if the VC++ runtime wasn't right which is the usual problem reported.

I just double checked that it still works for me which it does with a Vista client although it shouldn't matter what the client is. This is with version 1.0.0.6 (version number in the file properties in explorer).

When you have disconnected and you fire up task manager, would you please confirm that wswc.exe is no longer running and seclaunch.exe is still running?

Maybe also try running with the -i option to not secure the launched process (give it -? to see all of the options).

Guy Leech

VMware vExpert 2009

---

0 Kudos
PDicky
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning,

I'm at a bit of a loss here...

1. seclaunch is ver 1.0.0.6

2. I've done the register changes a little different this time.

I've changed

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\system.ini\boot\Shell

From SYS:Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

to

USR:Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

I then create this key under the user account

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell

With this value

c:\ISD\seclaunch.exe -s *"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\bin\wswc.exe"

Should I not be able to change this back and forth between SYS and USR to enable and disable the key I created?

Regardless when I login as User I see the wswc.exe but not the seclaunch.exe process.

0 Kudos
PDicky
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add

I've tried running this from a dos prompt as User

and

c:\ISD\seclaunch.exe -i *"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\bin\wswc.exe"

It launches the client but I still don't see seclaunch running as a process... Guy you also mentioned vista I'm using XP embedded sp3

Thanks again

0 Kudos