VMware Horizon Community
cjabates
Contributor
Contributor

Embed RDSH apps inside VDI session?

We've come across a couple apps that don't like being in AppStacks.  Specifically Visio and Project 2013.  Before you send me off to the KB article on how to get those working with AppVolumes, know that I've attempted those steps multiple times with the same result every time- "unable to find a license for this application. <Visio/Project> will now close."

We've installed them on our RDSH farm and they've tested out quite nicely when I use my Horizon client (v.4.6.1), but I'd like to know if I can embed them in the VDI sessions without having to install the client in the image or as an AppStack itself.

View 7.3.2

ESXi 6.0u3

RDSH on Win2012R2

3 Replies
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Unless you are going to make the users access it with HTML access inside their virtual desktop, you'll need to install the Horizon Client on your parent image.  One of the customers I work with has had this running for over a year for the same reason and it works great (client installed on base image)

0 Kudos
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using the Horizon client in the parent image works like a charm, At this side, we've got serval RDSH farms and the only thing what we do is pushing a shortcut with the correct parameters.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Horizon View Client\vmware-view.exe

-loginAsCurrentUser true -serverURL http://FQDN.com -appName "Putty"

Good luck!

0 Kudos
cjabates
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, it's not working.  I can open the app, but it won't capture the keyboard or mouse.  I've tried it as RDP, Blast, & PCoIP.

If I try the shortcut from my laptop (which I have the client installed on) it gives me 'I can't determine SSO information' (or words to that effect).

A couple of the other guys on my team have done some other digging, and it sounds like (from what they've said) this won't work with smartcard authentication.  If that's true, will using VMware's 'TrueSSO' via the identity manager work around this?