VMware Horizon Community
NewbVMDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi host dependency in Horizon View

Hi

I am trying to understand the relationship between ESXi hosts and Horizon View.

I’ve been having some intermittent issues with one of my hosts where it becomes disconnected from vCenter server.  When this occurs I get the red icon in the dashboard to alert that the host and vCenter service was down.  I put the host in maintenance mode, but I continued to see the downed status in my horizon View Admin dashboard for both the host and the vCenter server whenever the host was disconnected.  This in turn, interfered with refresh and recompose operations for my floating desktop pools.  I even took the host out of the cluster, but the host was still reporting down and after the vCenter server was restarted, the vCenter service came good for a period only to go down again.  All during the time when the host was disconnected I could still see entries in my vSphere console that the View service account was still trying to communicate with the downed host.

I eventually rebooted my host and everything returned to normal.

So my question is – there must be some dependency on the ESXi host even if it’s in maintenance mode and or removed from the cluster?  Is the only way to really keep a downed host from participating in View operations is to remove it from Horizon View?  Or was the issue not really the host per se, but the corresponding vCenter server issues whenever the host went down.  Note that the  vCenter server was never inoperable to the point it would not run or manage all other hosts or VMs,

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

(vCenter service was down)

* If your vCenter is a Windows installed, the first thing to check are the windows event logs. There will likely be entries in the event logs relating to the vCenter service issue, such as

EXAMPLE:

Could not start the VMware VirtualCenter Server service on Local Computer.  Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

* The next thing to check is the vCenter server log file (vpxd.log) you may see an error similar to

EXAMPLE:

[2017-03-30 14:41:37.687 02128 error 'App'] [VpxdReverseProxy] Failed to create http proxy: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.

[2017-03-30 14:41:37.687 02128 error 'App'] [Vpxd::ServerApp::Init] Init failed: VpxdMoReverseProxy::Init()

[2017-03-30 14:41:37.687 02128 warning 'VpxProfiler'] ServerApp::Init took 29328 ms

[2017-03-30 14:41:37.687 02128 error 'App'] Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

[2017-03-30 14:42:14.359 02128 info 'App'] Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

The first thing to do is confirm that vCenter cannot be started by attempting a manual restart of the vCenter service.

A common issue when the service won’t start is that there is a problem with the vCenter server database.  This can be checked by testing the ODBC link to determine whether you can connect to the database server. Also, Check the vCenter service is running with the correct credentials.

(host disconnects from vCenter Server) From VMware KB

LINK: ESXi/ESX host disconnects from vCenter Server after adding or connecting it to the inventory (204063...

Cause

* This issue occurs when heartbeat packets are dropped, blocked, or lost between the vCenter Server and the ESXi/ESX host.

* If there is an incorrect configuration of the vCenter Server managed IP address, the host receives the heartbeat from vCenter Server, but cannot return it.

* It is important to remember that the default heartbeat port is UDP 902, and these packets must be sent between vCenter Server and the ESXi/ESX host for the host to stay connected and remain in the vCenter Server inventory.

* If the host is not connecting to vCenter Server at all, the cause may be another network issue."

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected :smileyplus: Don't forget to:

Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos