VMware Horizon Community
shayrulah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

During Recompose (Customizing) VM tries to boot from PXE

Hello,

Could you please advice I have an issue with recompose of new Golden image which has Agent 7.7 and during recompose it straight goes and tries to boot from PXE not from HDD I have configured  boot options from BIOS to boot from HDD but not helping.

Thank you.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shayrulah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Everybody,

Issue was caused by the disk type of new VM which was Thick 35 GB and since during recompose it cannot grow and causes PXE boot. After changing the disk type to Thin provisioning issue is resolved.

best regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you can disable boot from PXE from master Vm bios settings use  F2 during the boot

but you need to know reason why it would PXE boot is because it did not find anything else to boot from

second of things , what version of vSphere do you use ?

0 Kudos
shayrulah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, boot order from BIOS is like below. using vSphere 6.7 Horizon 7.7 agent, connection servers etc.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
shayrulah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actullay after recompose even Golden Image tries to network boot during startup. I have to revert to latest snapshot for normal boot of golden image.

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

its strange issue

it seem there is something effecting the windows boot and that why it goes to network boot

try to fix windows boot it may solve the issue

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ARe you trying to change the boot to hdd on the clone, and its not working. If so something is corrupting your images on clone, and you may need to open support ticket if you haven't. Are you using vvols?

0 Kudos
shayrulah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I havent changed anything just clean install of Windows10-1803 optimized with OSOT and only Vmtools and Agent 7.7 installed.

Logged in ticket with VMware also, but second day they cannot figure it out also.

0 Kudos
shayrulah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Everybody,

Issue was caused by the disk type of new VM which was Thick 35 GB and since during recompose it cannot grow and causes PXE boot. After changing the disk type to Thin provisioning issue is resolved.

best regards,

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you just change the disk type, or did you grow it. Just changing it to thin  shouldn't make a differences since there is a a maximum disk size anyway.

0 Kudos
shayrulah
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Clonned the Golden image and during the cloning changed the disk type to Thin this was recommended by VMware. Disk size while it was Thick was 35 GB probably not enough.

0 Kudos