VMware Horizon Community
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dual Monitors Shrinks down to one after unlocking Windows 7

Hello everyone,

I recently deployed vShield, and since we are still running on ESXi 4.1U3 (For another month), I had to update the VMTools on the VMs. So I downloaded and installed VMTools 8.6 as directed by the documentataion to run vShield EndPoint with ESXi 4.1U3.

Everything seems to have installed fine, but what I have found is that when you perform your last action on the secondary monitor (like minimize a window), then lock the desktop, when you unlock it, nothing works correctly. The second monitor remains in low power mode, and what was displayed on the second monitor now shows up on the first monitor. The mouse seems to be "moving around on the first monitor" still, but you cannot see anything from it. CTRL-ALT-DEL shows the Lock, Log Off, Reboot, options, but you cannot select any of them.

What we have to do is hit the power button on our 10Zig zero clients, and then hit it again. We get presented with the login screen, and once authenticating, everything is OK again.

Locking the desktop when you last did anything on monitor one leaves everything OK.

Oh, also, when UAC pops up the "Are you sure" message, this also locks up the displays and monitor two shuts down and you can no longer do anything on the computer. You have to disconnect and reconnect.

We use PCoIP to connect. View 4.6, ESXi4.1U3. VMTools 8.6.

Has anyone else had this happen? I searched the Internet but haven't found exactly this problem yet.

-Ed

0 Kudos
1 Reply
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Found a fix!

So it turns out that when I installed the new version of VMTools, it updated the Video Driver to the SVGA 3D 7.14.1.1057 (5/12/2011) driver.

However, since we are running View 4.6, it requires the use of the SVGS 3D 7.14.1.49 (7/16/2010) driver. So I changed the drive back to this and my problem no longer exists!

So if anyone installs newer tools that what ESXi is running, and you start to have strange video issues, or in what ever your doing, and you start having strange video issues, check what version video driver you are using and make sure it the appropriate driver for the version you are running!

Thanks for reading.

-Ed