VMware Horizon Community
Dancautella
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Doubt about USB using a VDI Broker

Hello folks.

Anyone knows about use the USB Thin Client at the VDI VM on a VDI Broker ( like the VDI VMWARE Broker or Citrix Broker ) ?

I know, if the client use a static connection, i can use a USB server to convert the USB to a IP address, and works, but and on VDI Broker, works alone, or needs a USB server like on the static connection?

My best regards to all.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Couple of solutions are available if what you are looking for is a USB device to be presented to the virtual guest as a local device (not just storage devices as with RDP USB support)

1) Ubox - this is a network connected USB hub that can act as a dedicated or shared USB device for windows virtual guests

2) Provision Virtual Access Suite which has USB support (USB-IT) built into it's windows client although you are then bound to a Windows based client (i.e. XPe)

3) Wait for Wyse to release there upcoming USB support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i use leostream and the policy for usb re direction works fine, sorry haven't tested the vmware broker or citrix

0 Kudos
avarcher
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I'm not sure that this is a question for the broker, more for the presentation protocol being used, ICA / RDP / etc, then the question would be which presenation protocols do USB my way? and which brokers support my presentation protocol?

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

In principle this is true but there are brokers that replace the standard RDP protocol with a custom/extended RDP protocol .. Provision Networks is an example.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
Dancautella
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

By the way, if customer use a Thin Client, and install on it a USB server program, and on the VM desktop a client USB to see the USB server at Thin Client, this works. But, anyone have tested any Broker software and see it work with the USB support?

Message was edited by:

Dancautella

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Couple of solutions are available if what you are looking for is a USB device to be presented to the virtual guest as a local device (not just storage devices as with RDP USB support)

1) Ubox - this is a network connected USB hub that can act as a dedicated or shared USB device for windows virtual guests

2) Provision Virtual Access Suite which has USB support (USB-IT) built into it's windows client although you are then bound to a Windows based client (i.e. XPe)

3) Wait for Wyse to release there upcoming USB support

0 Kudos
thinkthin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have played with a few of these and found that brokers like LeoStream are fine as after the connection is created the client does a direct RDP connection to the VM. I have tested software USB over IP solutions and these work as they make there own direct connection over IP outside the virtual channel.

At the moment the Citrix desktop server runs ICA to a TS server and RDP to the VM so this breaks any software USB over IP software as well as many of the native ICA/RDP virtual channels.

The software I test was from fabulatech on XPe and the Wyse beta on WTOS.

Cheers,

-TT

0 Kudos