VMware Horizon Community
Yikes1232011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does the vm auto expand the hard drive with Instant clones and FSLogix?

I have Instant clones with FSLogix setup.  Do I have to make the master image big enough to accommodate the fxlogix user profile?

For example if the master image is 40gigs with 5 gig free, and the user profile is 10gig.  Will this work, or will it crash, or will it accommodate the difference?

thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The virtual disk on the VM and the FSLogix VHD are separate. You can have a VM having 100 GB hard disk and a VHD having 500 GB to hold the profile. 

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Yikes1232011101 

I'm not really sure what will be shown as "free space" on the VM, but you will be able to copy a 6GB file to a folder in the user profile (which is redirected by FSLogix to the VHD), but not to a folder outside the user profile (e.g. c:\temp\).

Best practice however is to make sure there is sufficient free space on the VM to allocate the userprofile. Instant clones are thin provisioned and removed when logged off, so unused space won't take any storage. 

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.