VMware Horizon Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does Wyse S10 direct RDP to desktop

i test a Wyse S10 with VDM, after power on, it display all desktops entitled. but when i connect the desktop, a error message prompted: Access is denied.

i can modify the admin template or GPO to make it work, but i just want know, does wyse S10 direct RDP to desktop(bypass the VDM)? can i setup S10 to not direct connect to desktop?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it's weird that i entitled two desktop to this S10, one is dedicated, the other is persistent pool.

when connect to the former, error is "access is denied", when connect to the later, no error.

so what's the difference? the two desktop are from the same XP template.

i know VDM support two types of connection, one is "Tunneled Connections to the Desktop" , the other is "Direct Connect to Desktop"

it seems dedicated desktop and persistent pool use different connect type, can i change the behavior?

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert

As far as I know the Wyse terminals can not use the VMware Security Gateway and so always connect directly to the VM (don't know if there is or will be an update available which fixes this issue).

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

but i have no security gateway setup.

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert

It's the same with the connection server. Wyse can only connect directly to the VMs and can only use a dedicated (called prefered) VM (you can't give the user the choice to select from multiple VMs.

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i solve this problem by VDM_Wyse_tech_note.pdf.

"Wyse Thin Client devices do not allow you to select a desktop from a list of desktops that you are entitled to.

If you are entitled to more than one desktop, you are connected to desktops in the following order: an

individual desktop, a persistent pooled desktop, and a non‐persistent desktop. Within each category or type

of desktop, desktop selection would be random. In other words, if you are entitled to multiple desktops of the

same type, there is no way to determine which desktop you will be connected to. VDM provides you with the

ability to override this behavior and set a default desktop to connect to when using a Wyse thin client device"

the rule of thumb is:

1) don't entitle two desktop of the same type to a Wyse thin client with WTOS.

2) if you do so, set 'Use this desktop for thin clients.' option in VDM client

0 Kudos
WyseGuy
Contributor
Contributor

All -- This has been corrected in release f the 6.2.X firmware from Wyse. You can now have multiple desktops assigned and also it is compatible with VDM 2.1 so you do not have to perfrom any workarounds to get the devices to connect ( No reg entry changes to allow direct RDP connection)

dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

since VDM 2.1 doesn't support S10 yet, but i test it without any problem. i will try to get the WTOS firmaware and make a try.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert

All -- This has been corrected in release f the 6.2.X firmware from Wyse. You can now have multiple desktops assigned and also it is compatible with VDM 2.1 so you do not have to perfrom any workarounds to get the devices to connect ( No reg entry changes to allow direct RDP connection)

Wasn't aware of that - good to know Smiley Happy

--

0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have test the WTOS 6.2, it does support multiple VM & change password, thanks.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.

0 Kudos
spence15
Contributor
Contributor

I've run in to a rather strange issue. I am using Wyse V10L thin clients to connect to a VDM 2.1 environment. Early on in testing we found that if a user was entitled to more than one desktop (pool) and they logged in to a terminal, they would not be presented a choice. Instead, they were automatically logged in to one (seemingly random) machine. After working with tech support at Wyse, we upgraded to WTOS 6.2 which corrected this issue. Now when the user logs in an icon gets created on the WTOS desktop representing each of the desktops (s)he is entitle to. When (s)he clicks on one of these icons the login process occurs.

So things went for some time. We went to production (I think it was at that point we went from VDM 2.0 to 2.1) and we didn't really do much with the terminals for a while. We've recently purchased some and started testing again. Now,when the user logs on to the terminal they still get the icons for each of their entitled pools, but no matter which one you click on you get an error "VMware VDM Agent - Access is Denied". If I remove entitlements for the user from all but one pool, it logs in to that one just fine.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate it.

~spence

0 Kudos