VMware Horizon Community
Vingehua
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMware horizon client support macOS Big Sur

VMware horizon client can't connect successfully when I use macOS big sur.

Tags (2)
21 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The latest Horizon Client was released last week and supports macOS 10.13, 10.14 and 10.15:

VMware Horizon Client 5.4.3 for Mac Release Notes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Vingehua
Contributor
Contributor

When will it be supported? Is there any preview version which supports macos 11.0 now?

I updated my macOS from catalina to big sur, so my working software (vmware horizon client) can't work now...sad

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Operating systems are not supported on the Horizon Client until they are released - Mac OS 11 just went into Public Beta and won't be released until this Fall. 

Chris Halstead
Senior Staff Architect, EUC Technical Marketing
chalstead@vmware.com
Twitter: @chrisdhalstead
Vingehua
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Is there any other solution? Such as can I use Microsoft Remote Client instead during this time ?

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You could use the Horizon HTML Access from your browser.

Regards, Michiel.
LinkJr
Contributor
Contributor

Big Sir is out. Where is the update?

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The 5.5 Horizon Client for Mac OS supports Big Sur

Chris Halstead
Senior Staff Architect, EUC Technical Marketing
chalstead@vmware.com
Twitter: @chrisdhalstead
Farbod23
Contributor
Contributor

Will Horizon Client run on the new ARM macs?

Farbod23
Contributor
Contributor

and what is the difference between 5.5 and the 2006 version?

0 Kudos
LinkJr
Contributor
Contributor

It renders, but the mouse clicks have no effect as with the most recent version. Is there a resolution  to this?

0 Kudos
heyjason
Contributor
Contributor

1. I've got the same question about the M1 / Apple Silicon Macs asked here.
  2. Has USB redirection support been verified on Big Sur? I was unable to get an authentication token (USB device) to work on Big Sur (public release as of 11/12/2020). It was working as of the most recent release of Catalina on the same MacBook. Thanks!
0 Kudos
alan7467
Contributor
Contributor

That's a bummer. Are you running 5.5 or 2006?

0 Kudos
heyjason
Contributor
Contributor

Version 2006, Build 8.0.0 (16531451)

... though I'm not sure I realized there was a difference. There only seemed to be one download for macOS (or so I thought).

0 Kudos
alan7467
Contributor
Contributor

Per the VMware employee above, 5.5 is supposed to support Big Sur. That's a different version from 2006. Here's the download page:

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=CART21FQ3_MAC_550&productId=863&...

Would be very interested to hear your results!

Best wishes,

Alan

0 Kudos
heyjason
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't realize there were 2 different clients. What's the difference? (Or I can look it up later if it's not a quick explanation.)

When searching the web for Horizon client for macOS, the 2006 version is what comes up — and there's no reference to a "5.5." However, I do see 5.x results when searching from VMware's site so I'll try that out today and post back.

Thanks for the clarification!

0 Kudos
heyjason
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I've got Version 5.5.0 (16962730) installed and I'm still not seeing any difference. Auth token definitely isn't redirected and I'm getting "USB Unavailable" from within the connection.

UPDATE: okay, I feel like a complete n00b but: as the saying goes, when all else fails, restart. I had already checked Security & Privacy and everything checked out but this didn't start working until I restarted. Can't believe I didn't try that. #facepalm

Farbod23
Contributor
Contributor

When will Horizon Client be updated to native ARM app for M1 Macs?

0 Kudos
jo_strasser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Information from GSS:

The latest versions of Horizon Client 5.5 and 8.0 (2006) are not supporting Big Sur.

The next release, which is planned for early 2021 should support it. 😕

Johannes Strasser / SDDC Architect @ Porsche Informatik GmbH
Twitter: @jo_strasser
0 Kudos
heyjason
Contributor
Contributor

While I didn't have much luck with the "2006" release, I've been able to run the 5.5 Horizon client successfully on Big Sur — along with support for USB-based token authentication — both on an Intel-based 2018 MacBook Air and a 2020 M1-based MacBook Air. 

Be sure to restart your device after uninstalling 2006 and installing 5.5.

UPDATE: the version I have installed on Big Sur is as follows: Version 5.5.0 (16962730).

cc/ @Farbod23 

0 Kudos