VMware Horizon Community
triggz50
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMWare Horizon Client run on the new M1 (Silicon) Macbooks?

Hi

I am about to buy a Macbook Pro and wanted to know whether VMWare Horizon Client will run on the new MacBook pro with an M1 chip. Can someone please let me know?

If it does run with M1, but requires Rosetta 2 to convert from Intel (I'm not a tech expert so forgive me if I'm using poor terminology), how would you expect speed to compare with say an i7?

If Rosetta 2 is currently required (or similar), are there plans to build support for the M1 chip without Rosetta 2 to improve speed, and if so what are the timeframes?

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jbaird384
Contributor
Contributor

I'm curious about this as well. I know some people are experiencing issues with Big Sur in general aswell.

triggz50
Contributor
Contributor

Could someone from VMWare please confirm if there is any intention to allow users to operate Horizon Client on Big Sur without Rosetta, and if so when? Thanks.

0 Kudos
JesperA89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been using my M1 powered MBP with the Horizon Client for some time now. It works great, and I haven't noticed any (performance) issues. Currently, it's running as an "Intel" application, which means it uses Rosetta2.  But I have no doubt this will be changed in the (near) future.

This is also stated in the release notes of the current version.

0 Kudos