VMware Horizon Community
bjm534
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Distributing VMware View Agent

I am working on a View 6 environment. There are about 100 desktops that are either physical(that we want RDP access to) or are VM's in Persistent full clone pools. We're trying to figure out a way to distribute the View agent but we're running into issues every different way we try it. Here's what we've done so far;

1. We've tried to create a powershell script that copies the agent from a network share to the local disk and run the agent installer using a command like C:\temp\agent6.0.exe /l"C:\Temp\agent_install_log.log" /s /v"/qn VDM_VC_MANAGED_AGENT=0 VDM_SERVER_NAME=10.X.X.91 VDM_SERVER_USERNAME=username VDM_SERVER_PASSWORD=*******"

i. With this approach is if the view agent is already loaded the installer just uninstalls the agent.

ii. We've also seen the agent install without a reboot actually being initiated

iii. on the physical workstations we've noticed issues with the systems being flagged for reboots and requiring a restart before continuing, so the install fails

2. We've also tried using the "agent6.0.exe /a" install and create the MSI for distribution through GPO

i. running into issues on the physical workstations where we can't pass custom properties to the MSI through the GPO

ii. we've seen the agent just uninstall from the station/vm if it's installed already, and we don't see a switch on the installer to force an upgrade instead of uninstall

3. We tried a MSI packager to see if we could add properties. Couldn't get an installer that works properly

4. Tried to edit the "agent6.0.exe /a" MSI with Microsoft Orca and change the properties.

i. Couldn't get the installer to function we keep getting an Error 2600

Any thoughts or other ways to get this done would be helpful

-Brad

-Brad
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bjm534
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We ended up using Dell Kase to run these installers remotely.

-Brad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bjm534
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We ended up using Dell Kase to run these installers remotely.

-Brad
0 Kudos
tibbar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue after upgrading my backend servers.  Did the VMware Support Engineers give any ideas to try?

0 Kudos