VMware Horizon Community
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Display scaling when switching devices

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some recommendations of how are you handling users who switch their devices often and dealing with their display scaling. We are hearing of many users starting their session of their laptops/macbooks/surfaces where the resolution is pretty high then coming into the office and getting huge icons/fonts etc. The same thing happens when within our organization a user logs on on Wyse P25 zero client with 2 19" screens then they go somewhere else and reconnect with 10zig with 3 22" screens and everything gets huge. Is there a gold solution to kind of make it more user friendly and automatically adjust?

We are using NVIdia GRID and normally we don't allow users to change Display settings. Besides recommending a user to log off and log back on we didn't really find a suitable solution to that. I was able to work out a compromise on my Surface decreasing my Display scaling and adjusting resolution so that it's workable for me when working on my laptop on personal stuff and when connecting to Horizon it looks good but with the influx of different devices non-managed that people use it becomes very hard to work with

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What's your client and agent version?

In 2012 version later, DPI sync per monitor is supported if the agent is a Win10 OS.

It means the DPI and resolution can adjust to the client's.

LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Currently running Horizon Client 2111.1 on my Windows 10. Agent version is 7.13.1 running on Windows 10 as well. For example right now I'm using my Surface Book, it's resolution is 3000x2000 and have 2 screens attached at 1920x1080 with 100% Scaling. when connecting to Horizon I'm excluding the main Surface display and letting my VDI use only two external screens. When connected everything is huge. Looking at Display settings on my VDI it looks like the resolution passes through correctly but scaling is set to 175 and is greyed out. Everything is huge.

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

7.13.1 doesn't support this feature.

Agent need upgrade to 8.1(2012) and later.

0 Kudos
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I see, yeah that won't happen for us anytime soon due to NVidia compatibility with UCS/Horizon etc. It's just strange that lately it became way worse than before. Maybe it's the client version that got updated causing it now. One thing that I'm also not being able to do is to allow user to change scaling and change from 175 in VDI back to 100. I think if I was able to do that I would be just fine. 

0 Kudos