VMware Horizon Community
HNNY5067
Contributor
Contributor

Display IP address of Connected Thin Client in a Windows 7 Guest/Virtual Desktop

I want to display the IP address of the the Connected View Thin Client in the target Windows 7 virtual desktop. I know that there is a Windows reg change for this however I cannot locate it. This will help when the user calls in with a problem. We will then be able to locate their Dell zero thin client in the teradici mgmt console

thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Yes, they are found under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment

Check this out:  VMware View and Location Based Scripts « Virtualised Reality

0 Kudos
riki78
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
childebrandt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I dont think you can. The best way that we have come up with is name them in the Teradici server. We did it with Asset tag numbers.

@childebrandt42
0 Kudos
BrianNo
Contributor
Contributor

You can look in the View agent log files on the guest OS and it will tell you the IP address of the client. I use this in a script I created to grab all the IPs our work at home agents connect from and then geo-locate the IP to verify they are still in the USA. This being a requirement for the customer we support.

Here's a link to the log files location:

VMware KB: Location of VMware View log files

0 Kudos
mwcrume
Contributor
Contributor

We use BGInfo to display this type of information.  Essentially, it looks at the volatile environment variables and displays them on the screen.  We display the virtual machine name, the ip of that vm plus we also display the device information such as ip and device name.  It makes it easy for our Help Desk to tell the users how to provide the information needed.

0 Kudos