VMware Horizon Community
mikeyes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Discover user external IP address when connecting to PCOIP pool for telework

In our environment we have a single pool that services both internal zero client users and external telework users.  I have written a script that users powercli to pull information from the View connection server about who is logged into a View session.  The script allows my support staff to query multiple View connection servers and find a user wherever they are logged in.

One of the problems is that support staff cannot readily tell if the user is connected from inside our network using a zero client or at home using a software View client.  The View connection server knows the connecting IP address of the client but I can't seem to access that information via PowerCLI.

The command I am using now is "Get-Remotesession".  This returns the following information:

RunspaceId : 3cd5d105-421a-46c8-92ae-be30404f1410

session   : 16

Username  : ks.circ10.dcn\john smith

pool_id    : TestPool

startTime : Thu Feb 20 07:42:15 CST 2014

session_id : KS\john smith(cn=s-1-5-21-755228346-4245473938-2440409140-5702,cn=foreignsecurityprincipals,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int)/1@cn=9973eff5-3c61-4dff-b246-5d33fb117c5a,ou=servers,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int.cn=ks-users,ou=server groups,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int:PCOIP:0

DNSName   : workstation5.ks.circ10.dcn

duration  : 4 hours 35 minutes

state     : CONNECTED

protocol  : PCOIP

Is anyone aware of a PowerCLI command that will let me determine that the user connected to this VDI session is connecting from a client with an IP address of X?

We also use separate View connection servers (that are clustered together) for internal and external users to connect from.  We are not using security servers because our VPN solution is controlled from corporate and I don't manage my external firewalls.  If I could tell which of the clustered connections server the user is coming in from I could also use that to determine whether they are external or internal.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
seanmassey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not that I am aware of.

However, that information is stored in the HKCU\Volatile Environment section of the registry on the virtual desktop.  You can write a script that would retrieve this information for each desktop that has an active session.

I'm not able to confirm that these keys are in the same spot in 5.3 at the moment since I can't access my home environment from work.  However, you can find more information on it here: VMware View and Location Based Scripts « Virtualised Reality

mikeyes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you.  I found the values and will work on a script to gather that information.

0 Kudos