VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disconnect after...

In my pools settings, I have the option "Automatically log off after disconnect" set to "After 120 minutes".....yes, there are plenty of days when I look at my active remote sessions and I'll see a user's status is "disconnected" and they'll be disconnected for 4 or 6 or even 16 hours. I thought by the option I set in pool settings, that they'd be logged off after 2 hours?

Can someone clarify

Thx

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wrieser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I noticed this in our environment too. According to VMware support that number is from when the user first logged in not just the time that has elapsed since the disconnect. So if they keep disconnecting and reconnecting it will keep going up until they hit the total login time limit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Lubbe176
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have noticed the same issue in my enviroment and am very interested if someone has a solution.

0 Kudos
wrieser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I noticed this in our environment too. According to VMware support that number is from when the user first logged in not just the time that has elapsed since the disconnect. So if they keep disconnecting and reconnecting it will keep going up until they hit the total login time limit.

0 Kudos
satya1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Mike wrote:

In my pools settings, I have the option "Automatically log off after disconnect" set to "After 120 minutes".....yes, there are plenty of days when I look at my active remote sessions and I'll see a user's status is "disconnected" and they'll be disconnected for 4 or 6 or even 16 hours. I thought by the option I set in pool settings, that they'd be logged off after 2 hours?

Can someone clarify

Thx

Mike

you are acessing form remote location or locally ,if remote location what about connection speed . try to ping and telnet ti identify the communication error .

Yours,

Satya

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting...but I know certain users hours, if they are working 8am-4pm, and the session timeout is 600 minutes, then the most they should be logged in, is 10 hours....so I dont think I should ever see 15 hours disconnected.

Speaking of the session timeout, does that work on Zero clients? I've seen it where the user has been logged on a whole day? I thought the session timeout would not allow that?

0 Kudos
shreevmw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What version of View manager you are using?

Here is the documentation for Automatic Logoff for View 5.0

Automatically logoff after disconnect    

Immediately. Users are logged off as soon as they disconnect.

Never. Users are never logged off.

After. The time after which users are logged off when they disconnect. Type the duration in minutes.

The  log off time applies to future disconnections. If a desktop session was  already disconnected when you set a log off time, the log off duration  for that user starts when you set the log off time, not when the session  was originally disconnected. For example, if you set this value to five  minutes, and a session was disconnected 10 minutes earlier, View will  log off that session five minutes after you set the value.

0 Kudos
Lubbe176
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In my enviroment it arent users disconnecting and reconnection i am 100% sure on that.

0 Kudos
griffinboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

do your logs show a request to log the user off at all?

VCPID: 40118 (VCP310, VCP4)
0 Kudos
Lubbe176
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've just checked and it looks like the disconnected times are invalid as the disconnect of one of my sessions is only 30 minutes ago but the console says 5 hours + .

Can you check if this is the same at your site VMMikeC ?

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shreevmw - I am using 4.6, and I have it set to log off after disconnect - 120 minutes

Lubbe - I'm a little confused by the spots that you're checking. Obviously, one if by logging into the admin page of the connection server, but where is the other spot that you're checking

I see where some of my confusion is. The "Duration" is the total time, connected and disconnected. For instance, right now, I have one user that says "Disconnected" and the Duration is 9 hours and 17 minutes....If I click the desktop name and go to events, I see she disconnected at 7:21pm (EST) but logged in this morning at around 10:51am....from 10:51am until now is 9 hours and 17 minutes, so that is accurate.

I guess I really need to pay attention more to the events tab of the desktop

There is another user who shows Disconnected with a duration of 11 hours 9 minutres....this user logged in at 9:03am....and never logged off or disconnected himself, but since my session timeout is set to 600 minutes, at 7:04pm, View put two events, at 7:04pm he is disconnected and at 7:04 he is logged out.....but wait if he's "logged out", why does he show disconnected? My guess is at 9:04 (120 minutes ) this user will show as available and not disconnected.

0 Kudos
Lubbe176
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am checking everything in the View Administrator Console (webpage)

I was checking the "Events" tab in the View administrator site to look for the disconnect event on the user. This was for example (fictional times) @ 15:00 and i checked at 15:15. The duration in the "Sessions" tab was 6+ hrs. I can imation that this is the total session time, i am not completely sure on that.

My "Global Settings" => "Session Timeout" is set to 800 minutes.

So this one fits in this window if the "Duration" is the total connected time including the disconnected time.

Hence the following question: Is the "Duration" the total session time, incl the disconnected time or only the current session state?

However of that would be the total session time, doesnt explain sessions stating a duration of multiple days.

Can that be a Scewed clock issue in the Client?

0 Kudos
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

"Duration" is, in fact, the total session time.

Very long durations can occur if users reconnect before the auto-logout happens.

(User logs in => reaches session timeout => disconnected => reconnects => reaches timeout again => etc, until he finally logs out, or stays disconnected long enough to reach the "log out after disconnect" time)

griffinboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's good to know. Thanks.

VCPID: 40118 (VCP310, VCP4)
0 Kudos
Lubbe176
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry that i am kinda taking over your thread VMMikeC..

@MarAndreas: I understand, thanks.. But that still doesnt explain why sessions can be multiple days in duration when my session timout is set on 800 minutes and my disconnected timeout at 120 minutes.

VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

no problem! Ask away....

0 Kudos