VMware Horizon Community
Rupert9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disconnect after Login Since WIndows Upgrade

Hi. Need your help

Problem:

I get disconnected immediately after login. It doesn't matter if I'm using hardware (zero) client or Horizon View Software Client.

It happens to all users.

Entering Windows-Login Credentials > circling dots with "Waiting for User Profile Service" > circling dots with "User Settings are applied" > Horizon Client Error Message "Connection to remote desktop closed" (horizon admin console says "user disconnected"

Background:

I run into this issue by upgrading from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have a working Horizon View Environment with Horizon Servers at 7.1.0 and Horizon Desktop Agent 7.1.0.

My Desktops are running Windows Server 2008 R2. Everything works fine. I want to upgrade my Clients to Windows Server 2012 R2.

So I powerd on my desktop master and ran Windows Upgrade. After successful Upgrade to Windows Server 2012 I verifyed that all my applications are still working in the master. Then I created a new snapshot went to my working WS2008 pool and clicked on "View Composer -> Recompose"

I selected the new snapshot with WS2012. Horizon View deployed my new Desktop Clients, but nobody can log on because getting immediately disconnected. Horizon View Agent is installed without "Persona Management" and without "virtual print" but with USB-Redirection.

I haven`t changed any hardware, firewall or pool settings. just changed the snapshot.

I am using VMXNET3 as ethernet adapter, VM Version 10 and QuickPrep

What I tried so far to solve this problem:

-> uninstalled Horizon Agent 7.1.0 (with regclean and reboot) and re-installed it

-> uninstalled Horizon Agent 7.1.0 and installed Horizon Agent 7.11.0 (Connection Servers and Composer are still 7.1.0)

-> verified that Windows Server 2012 is supported with Horizon Agent 7.1.0

VMware Knowledge Base

Windows Server 2008 is EOL so I need to update soon. Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rupert9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

uninstalled the virus scanner, switched back to VMXNET3, uninstalled View Agent (again), reinstalled View Agent, reboot, snapshot. Recompose

Now it looks way better. I can logon without beeing disconnected, but instead get some registry errors. but I guess that is not related to VMWare.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
hschimpf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

are your machines permanent or do they get deleted after logoff? You could try and use the vCenter console to check Windows event log if there is something there. Also, do you use UEM/DEM? I know that you can force disconnect/logoff when user archives are unavailable.

On a side note, I don't know if it's advisable to use Windows Upgrade feature on your master image. It's probably best to create a master image from scratch in these cases. Specially since Server 2008 and Server 2012 are quite different.

Best regards,

Raetke

0 Kudos
Rupert9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

pool is automatic, linked clones, dynamic

User gets assigned a random desktop at logon. Desktops are getting refreshed (not deleted) after logoff

Display Protocol is PCOIP.

0 Kudos
hschimpf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do you manage user configurations? Are you using UEM to save and restore archives?

0 Kudos
Rupert9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No. I`m not using User Environment Manager. Just using simple standard Windows Roaming Profile.

0 Kudos
hschimpf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you able to login to the machines using the vCenter?

Also is your master image already joined into the domain?

0 Kudos
Rupert9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Master image is not joined to the domain. The deployed virtual machines are successfull joined to the domain and I am able to login with domain users by using the vCenter.

In the Meantime I changed my network adapter from VMXNET3 to E1000 but that doesn`t change anything. Same problem.

I will provide information from EventLog soon.

Thank you very much for your efforts hschimpf

0 Kudos
Rupert9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

uninstalled the virus scanner, switched back to VMXNET3, uninstalled View Agent (again), reinstalled View Agent, reboot, snapshot. Recompose

Now it looks way better. I can logon without beeing disconnected, but instead get some registry errors. but I guess that is not related to VMWare.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
hschimpf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wish you luck. Microsoft Windows Products can be very ungrateful.

0 Kudos