VMware Horizon Community
ArnaudAxians
Contributor
Contributor

Disaster recovery plan with local storage on Horizon 7

Hi,

I have 2 ESXi servers and each server has its own local strorage. 100 users will connect to Horizon desktops.

When I create a pool, the Connection server creates desktops correcty by allocating 50 desktops on each ESXi.

Now I'm not sure what will happen if one ESXi server fails. I would like the 50 "failed desktops" to be recreated on the other ESXi. Is it possible and what would be the recommended configuration?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are these machines in 1 VCenter?

My guess is that when 1 server crashes it will try to migrate them to the other server but because the source server is down it will fail. It will not recreate the machines automatically.

AFAIK you only have 2 options. Either make sure to use shared storage (either a SAN or VMWare's VSAN which is quite expensive licens wise) or create 100 machines on both server and make sure to not use them all.. This way you can still have 100 machines left if one of the ESX hosts fails.

Maybe someone else has a better idea??

0 Kudos
StarWindRP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with you in regards to the VSAN, but it does not have to be expensive. StarWind offers an inexpensive Virtual SAN that only requires 2-nodes, which would be perfect in this case. You can install it right on those ESXi hosts and have your data highly available. You can find more info here: StarWind Software – StarWind Virtual SAN® – Starwindsoftware.com

0 Kudos