VMware Horizon Community
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Disable Printer Redirection But Not Location-Based Printing

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable printer redirection when using PCoIP in View 4.6, but still be able to use the location-based printing functionality?  Based on everything I've been able to research or test, the only way to stop printer redirection when using PCoIP is to disable the ThinPrint functionality, which also breaks location-based printing.

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP
0 Kudos
5 Replies
bcbomb47
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Were you ever able to find a way to do this? I'm in the same boat right now. Thanks.

--Brian

0 Kudos
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure is it's any help, Brian but we dont use the View printing agen option - instead we put the View VMs into location based OUs and map network printers via a GPO.  It's old school but does the trick.   

0 Kudos
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In this case (and in most cases for my customers) we went with Liquidware Labs' Profile Unity product to handle printer mappings.  Makes it much easier to set things up, and also does a much better job with the user profiles.

There are also other options: different OUs (as ctcbod mentioned), logon scripts and "map all printers with end user friendly names" are options I see used successfully.

I haven't played with this situation since 4.6, so I'm not sure if this "feature" has changed in 5.0 or 5.1.

brian

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP
0 Kudos
bcbomb47
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. We are currently using Deployed Printers via GPO, which works just fine but we are deploying every printer in the network to all the (floating) workstations and when a user logs in, every printers gets setup which increases the login times dramatically. I was hoping that setting up Location Based Printing would resolve this. I'll keep poking at it to see if I can get it to work. I have a VMware tech working with me.

--Brian

0 Kudos
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Definitely let us know if you find a solution.

0 Kudos