VMware Horizon Community
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

Direct Connection To Desktop - Disadvantages?

Hello,

We may need to use the "direct connection to desktop" option on our VDM server. I've read that the disadvantage is that sessions are no longer encrypted with SSL. Are there any other disadvantages or losses of functionality features?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

No there is no loss of functionality and features - infact one of the vmware vdi experts recommends that client should be configured to connect directly with the virtual desktops.

-vmsf

0 Kudos
SigurdAMD
Contributor
Contributor

I prefere direct connection in an LAN environment, I use two VDM servers behind a loadbalancer, clients connecting to the virtual name, so I can have one of the VDM servers out for maintenance any time without impact for the client connection and anything works fine

0 Kudos
mjsvirt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

yes I also prefer direct connection. I can't see a good reason to funnel through a broker.

For external connections, I would recommend an SSL VPN solution (if possible) rather than going thru View Security Server..all IMO

Jason Silva http://silvaecs.com http://twitter.com/silvaecs
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The only advantage to using the tunneled mode on the broker is you get an encrypted session.

The advantages you get in running the broker in direct connect mode is faster better performance on the connection broker since it isn't utilizing system resources for the traffic and therefore has more resources for additional connections and VM maintinence, management, and authentication tasks.

Depending on your needs I would go with the solution that meets you companies security policy. If you need the security and you don't have another security solution I would reduce the load on your brokers, 700 per connection broker is a safe bet for tunneled mode. Otherwise stick with direct connect if you can.

-Ivan Weiss

0 Kudos
cth123
Contributor
Contributor

The DIRECT connection "mode",

This is a NEEDED and useful setting,

RDP supports the secure tunneling,

but

RGS does not, and you need RGS for most enviroments, for FLASH animations, CAD, 3D, and most video information, including some administaion tools with Java, or animated interfaces.

Therefore the RGS does work, and I do have this fully functional in my enviroment.

but disadvantages are,

by direct connect, you have no tunneling (443) direct from the connection broker.

cth

0 Kudos
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using View version 3.1 in your environment? I read that View 3.1 supports RGS, but "This release does not support HP RGS connections to virtual machines". I've also read elsewhere that it will work in connections to VMs, but it's just not supported. Thanks.

0 Kudos
cth123
Contributor
Contributor

To my knowledge, We (my college and I) are the only company (IT) that has this successfully running...

Yes, RGS (with flash, and 3d and and and) view 3.1.1 and RGS... and it also works with View 3.1.

I have been working on this for a while now, and can say that it works well!

I have also (for example) Skype (with mic, and CAM support) in the View VDI running.

CTH

0 Kudos