VMware Horizon Community
ankitrtr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Diffrence between Vmware Horizon (with view) and Vmware Horizon 7 ?

Hello guys,

I want to know what are the major differences between the Vmware Horizon 7 and Vmware Horizon(with View). I want to upgrade my View Environment but before that I want to upgrade my Vcenter Server. I will make my decision based on the compatibility matrix. I also want to preserve my Thinapps which are on the version 4.7.3. Are there any methods to upgrading Thinapps or is there any other alternative to Thinapp when we upgrade to Vmware Horizon 7?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Vmware Horizon (with view) is the older product, the last update was in 2014. Horizon 7 is the latest, so I would base the interoperability matrix on that  product. I'm not that faimilar with thin app, but if you want to update the packages I think you just need to run relink on the a machine with the thinapp capture software installed(the latest is 5.2.4)

VMware ThinApp 5 Documentation Center

I don't use thinapp at all really, we've been using App Volumes to deliver applications, the only time we have needed thinapp was for older version of IE or something similar.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

Vmware View and Vmware Horizon are the same thing. It was the transition of renaming the product from View to Horizon.

Thinapp still works with the newest versions. An "alternative" method is deploying applications app volumes. App Volumes and Thinapp aren't an apple for apples transition and different based on what type of deploying of apps you are after.

As for the upgrade, follow the link sjesse provided. My opinion is to run the build.bat instead of relink.exe ot upgrade the package to ensure there isn't any incompatibility between version upgrades.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

On the VMware Product Interoperability Matrices "VMware Horizon (with View)" and "VMware Horizon 7" will return the same results. If you select both under the second section it will actually only return one result. Notice when you select "VMware Horizon (with View)" just below it says "AKA VMware Horizon 7" and if you select "VMware Horizon 7" just below it says "AKA VMware Horizon (with View)".

2018-12-18 10_54_48-VMware Product Interoperability Matrices.png

0 Kudos