VMware Horizon Community
avaular
Contributor
Contributor

Different user experience (visual) on different clients connected to the same VDI Desktop

I'm currently setting up a Horizon 7 environment with NVIDIA Tesla M60 and Grid for a customer. We are experiencing strange behavior where the different client computers accessing the VDI desktops are presenting a completely different visual performance from client to client. On my computer for instance, I can with ease navigate large 3d models in Solidworks or view 1080p Youtube videos in fullscreen and experience smooth graphics, but from another computer (Powerful workstation) the user will experience choppy graphics (around 10 fps) when accessing the exact same VDI desktop. This goes for several other computers. Some give reasonable experienced performance, and some are worse, but none as good as on my computer. I could not see any local resource shortage on the different computers while accessing the desktops. There is little difference wether Blast or PCoIP is being used.

On the server side everything seems to be working as it should, so the problem is somewhere between the Horizon client and the Horizon session. We've tried different things on the clients, like removing AntiVirus software, accessing the VDI Desktops from different networks (cable, wireless, 4G), remove the client from AD and so on, but without any measurable effect.

Shouldn't the experience be close to identical on all clients? Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
batuhandemirdal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you update your video card drivers?

0 Kudos
avaular
Contributor
Contributor

Both host and the VDI desktops has the latest NVIDIA drivers installed.

There could be a difference between the driver levels on the different client machines accessing the VDIs, as they are of different age and has different (or in some cases none) dedicated graphics cards.

I will make sure to update to the latest drivers on all test machines, though I'm still finding it hard to belive that this could be the culprit of this problem. For example, sessions run smoothly on my Surface 3 with an i3 processor and no dedicated GPU, but is seriously laggy on a beast of a workstation with 64 GB RAM, the latest xeon family processor and one of the latest AMD FirePro cards.

0 Kudos