VMware Horizon Community
lanevm
Contributor
Contributor

Difference between Hosts and VMs

Happy New Year!

I guess this is a stupid question, but I don't know the answer to it.

I have created VM View pools. Some desktops in the pool are Hosts and some are VMs. What's the difference between Hosts and VMs. I thought I only could create VMs, but I guess I could create Hosts as well. How did this happen?

Thanks for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers

Cheers, Yours Udin

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When you say "host" do you mean physical desktop systems or ESXi hosts? You shouldn't be able to add ESXi hosts to a View pool, but you can add physical desktops.

A "Manual Pool" is pool using existing desktops - either physical or virtual, or a combination of both. View won't provision new desktops to the pool, it will only use existing desktops you've given it. An "Automated Pool" will allow View to create its own virtual desktops on the fly. You might use a Manual Pool to give workers access to their physical desktops when working from home, for example.

HTH

0 Kudos
Kapil84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Host : It is called host  when you installed ESXi or ESX hypervisor on Bear metal machine.

VM: VMs are virtual machine which are created on the top of this ESX and ESXi host.

In View you can add  only VMs in the pool using either automated or manual pool. you cant add HOST in to the pools.

Best Regards,

KB

"correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (6 pts)

0 Kudos
lanevm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi HTH,

Thank you very much for answering my question. You actually answered part of my other questions as well. I created manual pool with all virtual machine. The problem I have now with the manual pool is that each VM only allows one use to logon. Even after the user logs off, others can't logon to the same VM. But it says the maximum connection is 5. I am confused there. Can you explain why?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like you created a dedicated manual pool which  means that each VM is assigned to a unique users.   The alternative to a dedicated pool is a floating pool which means the user will get a different VM everytime they login. 

0 Kudos
lanevm
Contributor
Contributor

yes, indedd I created a dedicated pool, not a floating pool. I do want the persistant for the each user. This is the situation. User A,B,C. VM 1 and VM2.

User A logon first time to VM1. User B logon to VM2 at the first time. Then they all logoff. But user C can't logon to any VM at all even either A or B is using 1 or 2. VM1 and 2 both show available, but no one can use it except A for 1 and B for 2.

thanks bunch.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi lanevm,

View doesn't work in this way - the choice is either Dedicated or Floating.

Dedicated creates a 1:1 mapping between users and desktops - so UserA always logs into DesktopA, and no other users will ever log into DesktopA.

Floating randomly assigns any desktop from the pool whenever a user logs in.

You can't have a combination where multiple users always log in to a specific desktop.

If you don't want a persistent mapping between users and desktops, you probably want to create a floating pool, and create an additional desktop so there are as many desktops as users.

0 Kudos
lanevm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for the insightful info and detailed explanation. In this case, I have to create 2 pools, one with floating desktop, one with dedicated. That makes so much sense now.

I have another question. Printing. I use printer server. VMs can connect to the printer server, but can't connect to the printers for some reason. Do you know why?

thanks bunch.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi lanevm,

I'm not sure why they can't connect to the printers; they should be the same as any other desktop. If there's no obvious error, I'd suggest logging a case with Tech Support and asking them to look into this with you.

0 Kudos
lanevm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi rbusby,

Very appreciate your help. I did some research on printing. It turns out that VMware View only support TCP/IP printing, not printer server. In order to use print server, you have to have thinprint, which is a separate product, and you have to buy it. There is a layer called V-print layer, that is preventing the printing from print server.

Anyway, thanks and have a great day.

0 Kudos