VMware Horizon Community
VMLicColAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Determine type and version of remote client

Hi,

We have a mix of zero clients and downloaded Windows clients in our remote user base. Trying to determine who uses what (client type, MAC, firmware, version, build etc.) by asking users is like herding cats.

Is there a way to tell from View logs or console what client is used to access View? We are on View 4.6.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
VMLicColAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's it, bang on. I've noticed a few things:

- I couldn't figure out a way to remotely connect to HKCU, if that's doable at all, never had to do this. The registry keys must be queried locally, under currently logged in user, and will disappear once the user logs off.

- I've created a script to run at connection time (and every hour while user is connected) under user context and export all these values to a text file on local machine, so they can be preserved after disconnect and picked up by other scripts doing network inventory overnight. For some reason, in some cases, ViewClient_Broker_DNS_Name isn't exported at all. I end up with 10 values in the text file instead of 11. Not sure why, I thought to mention it in case someone else runs into the same issue.

- When a user connects remotely, registry keys are populated. If they disconnect without log off, and then connect from another client to the same session, registry values will not change. You may end up with wrong data. In my test I connected from a Wyse P20 zero client and then from Windows. Registry still said ViewClient_Type was Teradici device, not Windows.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you connect remotely and look under HKEY_USERS and find their equivalent SID then you should be able to see the volatile environment.

VMLicColAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Got it. Another thing I noticed is that when someone connects from iPad, it makes VC_LoggedOn_Username = "mobile", not username as for any other clients. This is weird, anyone else?

0 Kudos