VMware Horizon Community
mclark
Expert
Expert

Desktops not connecting after View 5 upgrade

I upgraded from View 4.6 to 5 this weekend. I updated my virtual desktops by upgrading the VMware Tools and then the virtual hardware to v8 and then uninstalling the old Agent and re-installing the new v5 Agent. I then recomposed my desktops. Now no one can connect to the desktops. When using RDP the error is "The connection to the remote computer failed" and when using PCoIP the error is "The connection to the remote computer failed". I have tried by using both a View 4.6 client and a View 5 client. This is on a thin client (Wyse R90L7). Ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

The agent should always be installed last.

Did you upgrade the rest of the components, View Brokers and View Composer?

What version of the SVGA driver do you have now?

Are the desktops reported as "Ready" in th View Admin Console?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

As I said, the Agent was last, as I had hit that issue before.

They are reported as "Available" in View Admin.

The ESXi servers, VCenter, View Manager, and View Composer have all been updated.

The SVGA driver says VMware SVGA 3D (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), Date 7/29/11, version 7.14.1.1061

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

Same issue here. Think I have to roll-out a new basic image unfortunately.

See what I posted: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/329853

Does this sound similar? When you connect through the console (VI Client), you have the same problem of not sending CTRL-ALT-DEL ?

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
mclark
Expert
Expert

Yep, that is exactly what I am seeing.

During troubleshooting, I found that some desktops would connect fine and others would not connect. If you open up the ones that would not connect using the VI Client, you find the VM at the CTRL+ALT+DELETE screen, and you cannot move the mouse or type. However, the OS is responding, because you can use the "Restart Guest" option, which uses a standard OS shutdown/restart. That seems to tell me that the OS is there and up (at least mostly), but is just not taking keyboard or mouse. Once the VM is restarted, keyboard and mouse again function in the VI client. If you then try to connect with the View client, it may or may not connect (if it gives you the same desktop). If it does not connect, then you find that the mouse and keyboard are again dead in the VI client.

I have rebuilt a Windows 7 desktop VM from scratch, and so far that is  looking good. However, I really don't want to have to rebuild stuff  every time a View upgrade comes out.

It sounds like this may be some sort of bug since you are seeing the same thing. The VMware engineer that has been "helping" me has not called me back in over 2 days, so I don't know if they are investigating this or what. I'm glad I only recomposed a pool with 3 users that I had a spare PC for, and didn't recompose the pool with over 30 users where this is the only option they have, or it would not be good. I am not very happy with VMware support right now. By the way, in case a VMware person sees this and would like to help me more than the current person on my case, I do have the pool with a  VM that exibited this problem. There is a wsnm DMP file on the VM,  and there are logs. Maybe that will help someone at VMware figure out what is gong on.

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

Concerning VMware support (and all other support desks I call), I just keep calling them everyday instead of waiting for an answer.

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

I also built a new Win7-32bit VM from scratch, but this didn't solve my problem. VM has same black screen problem when using PCoIP.

Could it be the Connection Server causing the issue?

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

Hmmm.... turned out my desktop client was still the beta version. So after reinstall client on my desktop and reboot, I got the new build W7 image working, but the old image still has issues

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

I sent in all the logs for View on Friday to VMware, so we'll see if they find anything.

0 Kudos
robert_eckdale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I too am seeing the same behavior outlined in this thread.

Additionally, my PCoIP thin clients (Wyse P20), with two monitors (each at 1680x1050), always put the 2nd monitor to sleep after providing credentials in a Windows UAC prompt. Disconnecting the PCoIP client from the current session, then reconnecting, resolves the issue.

If anyone would like me to provide a more thorough picture of the environment just say the word.

0 Kudos
PNE
Contributor
Contributor

We encounter same issue after upgrade.

Upgraded from ESX4 to 4.1.0.502767 upgrade viewcomposer 2.5 to 2.7.0-481620, view client 4.6 to 5.0, view agent 4.6 to 5.0.
Installed new 5.0.0.481677 agent on parent of linked clones, installed new VM tools 8.3.12.8191,
NOW – when we recompose new virtual desktop users are able to login to the desktop using the windows View 5.0 client, however they are disconnected from their session.

The desktop appears to be running and logged in when view from the VSphere client.

We can send Ctrl Alt Del to desktop from VSphere and then users can login, but we cannot this for all.
This is exactly the issue with the video drivers in previous versions of View where we had to 'dumb down' the video driver to SVGAII.

However

This time the issue is resovled bydoing the following:

(Assuming you did the server side applicaiton upgrade in the proper order according to thier documentation)

Uninstalled View Agent from Parent

Reboot

Re-Install View Agent to parent

Reboot

Login, release IP Address - (this is new to me)

Shut-down

Re-take snapshot

Recompose

Test - if you encounter the error indicating that linked clone could not activate - waited 18000 seconds, Unable to activate....

Solution
You can activate licenses for MAK clients or bypass license activation altogether by setting registry values on the parent virtual machine. You might want to bypass license activation if you intend to install a trial license on a parent virtual machine.
To enable QuickPrep to activate licenses for MAK clients:
1. In the guest operating system on the parent virtual machine, start the Windows Registry Editor and navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmware-viewcomposer-ga
2. Navigate to the AllowActivateMAKLicense registry value. The default value is 0.
3. Set the value to 1.
WE Used this one. We have KMS server ro activations

To bypass license activation altogether:
1. In the guest operating system on the parent virtual machine, start the Windows Registry Editor and navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmware-viewcomposer-ga
2. Navigate to the SkipLicenseActivation registry value. The default value is 0.
3. Set the value to 1.

all seems to be good now.

0 Kudos