VMware Horizon Community
matvdl
Contributor
Contributor

Desktops do not work after a recompose

hello,

I have a pool that I have been using for sometime without any issues.  Last night I applie some upgrades to the core image - shut the machine down - took a new snap-shot and recomposed all desktops.

This morning only about half are working without any issues and the changes applied successfully - the other half will not start.  When I attempt to view the problem machines I get "Operating System not found" errors.

I have tried to recompose the individual desktops with no luck - continues to fail.  Have also tried to create a new snap-shot with no luck and use this on the faulting desktops.

Not sure what I am meant to do now - any help would be great.

Operating System Not Found.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Did you get your issues resolved?  What happens if you roll back to the old snapshot? 

0 Kudos
griffinboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does the actual recompose action fail half way through or does it seem to complete OK but you end up with no OS? what do your logs say?

VCPID: 40118 (VCP310, VCP4)
0 Kudos
Bisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I`m getting same issue from time to time and to be honest we haven't yet rooted out the cause, we just delete and recreate but that is not an acceptable solution so when i get some time I`ll report it to VMware support. Thing is I`m nut sure if I`ll be able to replicate issue.

Anyway, today i found that having provisioning disabled on the pool might have some impact on this issue. Do you have provisioning enabled?

0 Kudos
tashby64
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, i have just run into this very issue. Has anyone found a resolution yet?

0 Kudos
matvdl
Contributor
Contributor

From memory - the issues related to low disk usage - as a result the VM's failed to recompose.

To fix the issue I found the re-doing the recompose did not work as the VM's had lost their hard drive referance.  Once I fixed this they started to work again.  I had to go and do this on each individual one - so it took a little while.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Bisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my case it occurred to be caused by faulty boot order in VMs BIOS settings. This in turn was caused cause by VMware View being unable to handle disk controller change in the golden image, in our case from IDE to LSI SAS. We had to redo golden image from scratch. When we filed support case, VMware told us that IDE is not supported on Win XP, which is pure nonsense. It is of course not recommended but supported, so it is stated in their docs at least. For support guys "no recommended" = not supported it seems.

Anyway this issue also tends to happen if the pool prvisioning is disabled when you do recomposition/refresh.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos