VMware Horizon Community
virgo731
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Desktop shortcuts in Windows 10 VDI floating pool

I prepared the base image with all the necessary Windows 10 shortcut like word, excel and other applications on the desktop shortcuts.

I used both local administrator to prepared the VMs shortcuts but it's doesn't work and switch domain account still the same. When

I to simulate logging in from the vmware view from outside with AD test account not all the shortcuts I already will show on the desktop and

another how can I stop the microsoft teams from not auto launch from windows 10 .. I tried these ..disable for task manager or remove from start up but still won't work.

any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jons5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using the Dynamic Environment Manager (DEM)?

With this tool you can also create desktop shortcuts, because per default some icons only get created for your specific user who installed the product. The way we do it is to delete every new additional shortcut on the golden master/appstack and create one instead in the DEM.

One example:

dem.png

Speaking about Microsoft Teams we are also struggling to provision a good performing version which doesn't automatically start. The same goes for OneDrive.

What I've heared is that Microsoft is working on giving us admins more options since the whole per user app install is just frustrating and causes all sorts of problems. There is a way to use a machine wide installer for Teams but it's still giving us many different problems... :smileylaugh:

Best regards,

Jens

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jons5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using the Dynamic Environment Manager (DEM)?

With this tool you can also create desktop shortcuts, because per default some icons only get created for your specific user who installed the product. The way we do it is to delete every new additional shortcut on the golden master/appstack and create one instead in the DEM.

One example:

dem.png

Speaking about Microsoft Teams we are also struggling to provision a good performing version which doesn't automatically start. The same goes for OneDrive.

What I've heared is that Microsoft is working on giving us admins more options since the whole per user app install is just frustrating and causes all sorts of problems. There is a way to use a machine wide installer for Teams but it's still giving us many different problems... :smileylaugh:

Best regards,

Jens

0 Kudos
virgo731
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't use DEM as mentioned. Do we need a license on this? can this be installed on top of horizon view or totally diffferent environment?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jons5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not that farmiliar with the setup of the DEM, because someone else did it in our environment but maybe the documentation can answer most of your questions: VMware Dynamic Environment Manager (formerly known as VMware User Environment Manager) Documentation

As far as I know DEM can be installed on top of everything else since it's used to handle most of the user specific data (appdata, HKCU registry, etc.).

I believe you need a license but it's included in for example the enterprise bundle or whatever it's called. :smileylaugh:
Maybe someone else has a better understanding of the whole licensing thing.

Best regards,

Jens

0 Kudos
virgo731
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos