VMware Horizon Community
tliffick
Contributor
Contributor

Desktop Pools based off of VM vs Snapshot?

I was curious if someone out there could provide me with technical data/personal experience as to a preferred method: Building my Desktop Pools off of seperate VMs or a single VM with multiple snapshots.

I need to build 6 pools for 5 different departments, each of them using different applications. I'm wondering if I should create 6 different VMs or one VM with 6 different snapshots.

Thanks!

Trent

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you are using linked clones you can utilize the snapshot method. Simply create a base install with all the shared applications, shutdown the VM, create a snapshot called "Base Image". Then you can start the VM, add different applications, shutdown and create a snapshot for that pool. Great document to read over is located here, http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View4-Evaluators-Guide.pd.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
tliffick
Contributor
Contributor

That is exactly how I setup my test lab but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had seen better results, or read something, that stated you should base the desktop pools (sorry I didn't mention I was using linked clones) on seperate snapshots or seperate VMs.

Does anyone else have any additional advice/personal experiences?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Well from personal experience I have found that managing 6 snapshots per base image a little cumbersome. I have yet to move them over to 6 seperate base images but I have given it some thought.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would go with 6 different VM's. I think it's easier to manage than 6 snapshots on 1 VM. What if you need to install Windows updates? You would need to do that on 6 different snapshots...

Also, try to automate the installation of the applications as much as you can, or even better: virtualize them and keep them out of your image.

>

Sven Huisman

VMware vExpert 2009/2010

Virtualfuture.info

Twitter @svenh

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
tliffick
Contributor
Contributor

I liked the thought process VirtualSven provided and I decided to move forward with a new VM for each pool. If nothing else the ease of Security Patching was enough to sway me to his way of thinking.

Thanks to you all!

0 Kudos