VMware Horizon Community
dgustavsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Desktop Pool Stuck on Customizing

I have an automated floating desktop pool of linked clones setup.  The VMs all provision correctly.  Horizon 7.9.

When I domain join the master image and spin off the desktops, none of the desktops can access the domain and the machine states all stay at "customizing".  It takes a long time, but I can eventually login with my domain credentials, but Horizon is stuck on the "customizing" state.

If I do not domain join the master image, the desktops all generate and horizon eventually connects to them (temporarily), but none of the domain credentials work.  If I login as the local administrator, the network is effectively dead.  I cannot ping out or contact any other computer.

The account loaded into Horizon to add/remove computers from the domain is the same account that joined the servers running the infrastructure (SQL server, Composer, Connection server).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dgustavsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turns out this was a problem with group policy.  GPO stated to turn Windows Defender ON in all instances which was garbling up the network.  Moved some GPO objects around to tweak Windows Defender to allow the domain and networking to operate correctly.  Thanks for the suggestions!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Perttu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sounds like an issue with networking. Do you have a vmxnet3 NIC on the master image and is the DHCP working correctly on that net? Can you capture DHCP offers at the clones, do they have correct DNS and route settings?

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Which OS are you deploying. This sounds like exactly like this old VMXnet 3 NIC issue with Windows 7

0 Kudos
dgustavsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Turns out this was a problem with group policy.  GPO stated to turn Windows Defender ON in all instances which was garbling up the network.  Moved some GPO objects around to tweak Windows Defender to allow the domain and networking to operate correctly.  Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Kudos
dgustavsson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It turns out it was a GPO issue with Windows defender.  Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
cyphil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to share my case on the same error. It was due to DHCP is running short of IP. @_@

Moddey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had this issue also and it was as stated the DHCP running out of IP's

0 Kudos