VMware Horizon Community
dfglover58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deploying Apps via Horizon 7

Greetings everyone,

I am extremely new to VMWare and I am looking for some advice on deploying apps. The community college I currently work for is using Citrix to deploy apps like the office suite, some simulation software and most importantly RDP. I have read and heard of different ways of doing this. We were sold this product on the statement that ThinApp could do all of this but I have since been told by a VMWare tech that ThinApp is not the way to go and that we should use RDSH farms for deploying apps. My predicament is that if ThinApp cannot be used to deploy RDP then we will need to purchase additional licensing for RDSH machines. Does anyone have any input/advice on this matter? Thanks in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What is the use cases for RDP sessions currently?

What are you going to move too, Horizon View and/or Workspace?

Are you looking for a application virtualization transition from Citrix to Horizon?

So what I'm gathering from your last comments, you have Citrix and everything working but your now moving to a Horizon solution.

You can setup a Horizon environment that can leverage your current Citrix environment or build out Horizon pools that would take place of Citrix all together.

Either way, I still think you will mostly AV and TA for potential applications that need isolation. Then I would suggest to use UEM for the profile layering to manage your users persona.

If you contact me by a private message and what to discuss this over the phone, I would be more than happy too.

Mike_A

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you staying with Citrix and want to use ThinApp to leverage Application virtualization?

ThinApp is not a 100% solution to a VDI environment. VMware states it will only being able to package approximately 75 to 80 percent of your application stack. You will need to leverage AppVolumes and ThinApp to get to a closer 100 percent application stack virtualization.

Without knowing the full architecture of your environment, I would suggest the following, if your are just using Citrix. I'm also assuming you are just trying to layer the applications to make server management and application updates easier.

I would look at using both VMware products, AppVolumes & ThinApp to handle your AppStack. Use AV as your primary packaging solution and then use ThinApp where needed, when you need the application to be isolated or co-exist with another application.

If you give me more details of your current environment, I would be able to give you more of a direct solution.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
dfglover58
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We looking to move completely away from Citrix. We are currently publishing the Office Suite, an HVAC simulation suite and RDP.. We also plan to publish some desktops as the need arises. The critical thing right now is going to be the publishing of the HVAC simulators and the RDP client. At first we are not looking at a high volume of traffic, maybe 30 users total for the HVAC simulators and 15-20 RDP users are any given time.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What is the use cases for RDP sessions currently?

What are you going to move too, Horizon View and/or Workspace?

Are you looking for a application virtualization transition from Citrix to Horizon?

So what I'm gathering from your last comments, you have Citrix and everything working but your now moving to a Horizon solution.

You can setup a Horizon environment that can leverage your current Citrix environment or build out Horizon pools that would take place of Citrix all together.

Either way, I still think you will mostly AV and TA for potential applications that need isolation. Then I would suggest to use UEM for the profile layering to manage your users persona.

If you contact me by a private message and what to discuss this over the phone, I would be more than happy too.

Mike_A
0 Kudos