VMware Horizon Community
BrianB2
Contributor
Contributor

Dell vWorkspace Migration to VMWare Horizon Suggestions

Hey,

I'm very new to this community so please forgive me if I ask too many questions.

We're in a tough spot and need to find a solution for migrating from Dell vWorkspace. Our environment uses Wyse 7020 ZERO clients (no OS) with vWorlkspace.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

- Are our 7020 zero clients compatible with Horizon?

- Any information on how we configure the clients to PXE boot or whatever to Horizon client?

We basically need to confirm that our existing clients will work before we move forward with a POC or trial.

I really appreciate any helpful responses/suggestions.

Thank you,

8 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert

1.) Yes it should be if you're using the latest horizon version. Check the matrix  found here: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/vi_view_guide.pdf

Be sure that you have the correct zero client image that supports the horizon client.

2.) You will want to manage them using the wyse device manager. You can configure your settings( we use .ini files) to point to your horizon environment.

0 Kudos
BrianB2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information techguy129.

According to the matrix, the Dell 7020 (WYSE Z00D) isn't listed so I'm guessing it's not compatible??? The other Dell 7020 clients from the matrix look to be Windows embedded only (if I'm reading this correctly).

It's frustrating because we were told that the 7020 client were compatible, but would need some sort of USB Linux tool to boot to the Horizon client. Any suggestions of where else to look?

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

it seem you need to update Windows7 to windows 8, check the below URL from Wyse for the details

Wyse Technology - Support Downloads

from the same site you can fine Horizon Client and all detail

0 Kudos
BrianB2
Contributor
Contributor

?????

There isn't an OS on the client.

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Im running Horizon 7.4 with Dell Wyse 3040 zero clients running Blast Extreme and have an NVIDIA Pascal GPU on one of our hypervisors with the newest GRID software and license server for a handful of highend engineers, the rest of my users  dont use the GPU.

--------

You have to get a hold of the blast extreme package from Dell.

Im not sure your 7020's already have that, but they may be able to connect via blast to Horizon with a free upgrade of that package from Dell.

You would then install the free Filezilla Server onto a spare VM (a Windows 10 VM would be just fine).

Create the appropriate sub-directories on your windows 10 filezilla server and create a WNOS.ini file to publish via the filezilla service.

point your 7020's to the filezilla server and the published directory.

When your 7020's boot, they will get the new blast package and install onto the zero client.

The same Wnos.ini file should also contain your SSL certs, some fancy login image, timezone settings and maybe a few bridged device settings.

boom! your'e done.

BrianB2
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, thanks for the information Vader!

It sounds promising. Do you know where I can find documentation for this setup? I don't want to bombard you or anyone else with a ton of questions.

I don't understand the purpose of the Filezilla server. Is that an alternative to the WYSE Device Manager (WDM)?

We've been told that our VDI environment would require Horizon, Blast, and WDM. Again, I'm sure how all the pieces fit yet but I'm learning as fast as possible.

Documentation would be a big help.

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My replies are delayed.

But Filezilla is the cheap alternative to WDM.

running filezilla on a dedicated VM would replace WDM.

You would create your own WNOS file and publish it via filezilla.

Everytime the zero clients boot, they see the filezilla server and update themselves from any changes you would make to the WNOS file.

filezilla is also where you would store any updated packages, certs, images to load on the zero client.

WYSE WDM would probably be a cleaner method of doing this, but I haven't used it since my Filezilla deal is working fine for my management purposes of the Dell zero clients.

0 Kudos
BrianB2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for the information Vader.

It's still not clear to me how this works with Horizon. Do you have any documentation links?

0 Kudos