Dbbs2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Delete vs Refresh on Log Off

Hey all!

Quick question.

What does everyone think about deleting vs refresh during log off when talking about non-persistent virtual machines?

I know with delete, you tend to have more host cpu utilization and what not during log off storms.

My question is...what's the benefit of using each of them? Pros and Cons of each.

Thanks in advance,

David Nolen

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey David,

Refresh;

cons;

- With a Refresh, while provisioning the desktop, after the customization process. VMware View will make a restore point, so that is after the Desktop is registered in AD or other server managers like VMware App Volumes.

- When you attached a new snapshot. the current desktops will not been replaced with the new version, a recompose is necessarily.

Pros;

- The Desktop comes back with the status "available" faster then with a delete action

- It requires less resources from the Vcenter server.

- If there is a problem with the Vcenter, the impact is average.

Delete:

cons;

- It requires more resources ( vcenter, I/O )

- If there is a problem with the Vcenter, new desktops are not deployed and in a large environment with a high throughput of logins and logouts. the available desktops will be decreased in a few minutes.

Pros;

- Desktop will be deleted

- For maintenance you can deselect the local datastore, and the new desktops will not be deployed on the deselected datastore. after all desktops are deleted, you can put the host in maintenance mode.

Dbbs2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. We decided to stick with Refresh on log off to limit the I/O on the vCenter server. Although, it could handle it, we are playing it safe for now while we troubleshoot other issues going on.

Thanks again, Kevin!

0 Kudos