VMware Horizon Community
Joker1337
Contributor
Contributor

Delay Problem with External Connections

Hey,

i just deployed a fresh new Horizon View Conncetion Server. (Latest Version)

To test our new Hardware, i just setup an Windows 10 LTSB 2016 VM (Problem occurs with every Windows 10 Versions like Windows 10 Enterprise, LTSC 2019 etc.)

The problem is, if i connect to that VM (doesn't matter which Protocol) on Lan, everything works fine.

But if i connect through the Internet (tested several connections (SiteToSite VPN, PC from Home, etc.) and i start moving explorer or any other window form left to right corner of the monitors, for the first 2-3 seconds its completly smooth, but then, its extremly jerky. After i just do nothing for a few seconds, and move the window just a little bit it is smooth again. If i just start to move around it is jerky again.

So it seemed for me, it might be a connection bottleneck. So i tested around with GPOs. but there was no difference (60 FPS Max, min. and max Bandwidth, Quality High and Low etc.)

I tested with 1-3 Monitors, High and Low Resolutions. The issue appears just a second later.

The weird thing is, the Horizon Performence Tracker is just showing the 20-24 ms for the connection.

But if you take a look at my specs, i can't see where it is.

Or something is thwarting the connection

Has anyone an idea where my problem is ?

Specs:

Horizon View Server :

8 Cores (Intel Gold 6136 3GHz)

16 GB RAM

80 GB SSD

Lan Connection : 1 Gbit

Internet Connection: 100MBit up and down

Horizon Desktop:

8 Cores (Intel Gold 6136 3GHz)

8 GB RAM

70 GB SSD

Nvidia Tesla M10 - Profile 1B (Latest Drivers on Desktop and ESXi)

If you need more Info, just write it, and i'll post them.

Thanks for the Help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You don't want to double encrypt the traffic (PCoIP or Blast) using a VPN. You should deploy a UAG or at a minimum security server and connect through that.

I'd also recommend right sizing your connection server and VM. Are these on the same host and do any other VMs exist on the host (This could be a ready time issue)? I have two connection servers handling thousands of connections a day and they only have 2 vCPU and 10 GB of memory. For your VM I would start with 2 vCPU and scale up as needed.

0 Kudos
Joker1337
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

maybe i misswrote it, sorry. I tested with SiteToSite VPN and without. The plan is to get a good user experience without vpn.

It's fresh new hardware.

I got a vsan cluster of 2 Hosts with the following specs of each Host:

2x intel Gold 6136 3GHz (24 Cores and 48 Threads)

196 GB RAM

1x Nvidia M10

At the moment there is only my connection server and the windows 10 client vm on the cluster.

So we have plenty of ressources.

Both, conncetion server and desktop vm are on the same host. But surely i tested it, with vm on an other host with the same results.

Pls don't get me wrong, i don't use "VMware Horizon direct connection Agent". The connection is established through my Horizon View Connection Server.

At the start as i deployd everything, i sized the connection server and the desktop vm with less ressources.

I just gave them more, to eliminate hardware problems.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you using Unified Access Gateways (UAG) or Security Servers for external access? You should never expose the connection servers directly to the Internet.

Are you using Blast or PCoIP for the display protocol? For PCoIP try turning off build to lossless. You can use the PCoIP Session Statistics Viewer to help determine where the issue is.

PCoIP Software Statistics Viewer (1032)

0 Kudos
LouisDeMadre
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Jocker,

did you find a solution? I have the same problem as you.

Thank's

0 Kudos