VMware Horizon Community
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Default printer re-maps on its own in View only

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has run into the following problem: My client has  a View 4.6 environment with Composer.  At times throughout the day users experience a sudden printer remapping to the standard Windows XPS "printer". Group policy maps printers by default at log on, but at some random times during the day a remapping occurs and suddenly all the printers are gone and the XPS is back as a default.  Before I investigate this case from a Windows/Microsoft perspective I would like to see if there is perhaps something in View causing this. 

Any help or experiences would be appreciated.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VCSLI
Contributor
Contributor

Are the real printers gone when you go to set them back to default? Or is the default smply changed to the XPS writer?

I have only seen this when the real printer is deleted. Windows then takes whatever printer it likes as the default.

Check your GP's and make sure you have your printer deploiyment GP set to "Create" rather than update.

0 Kudos
Borat_Sagdiev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Found the problem!  It was the ThinPrint services: TP AutoConnect Service and TP VC Gateway Service that were running and were pushing the endpoint's printers onto the session.  We wound up removing them from the base image and recomposing the replicas without these services running.  Now the users are mapping only that which is assigned to them by Group Policy. 

So in the end it wasn't anything related to GP, it was the virtual printing function that's built into View that was causing the problem.

0 Kudos