VMware Horizon Community
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Default Playback Device Bug?

Hello

We are using View 5.1.2, vSphere 5.1, Windows 7 x64 SP1 virtual desktops, PCoIP...

When no USB devices are plugged in the default Playback device shown in Control Panel is VMware Virtual Audio (DevTap) device.  All good so far.

If a USB device is plugged in which has a sound output capability (in this case a pair of USB headphones), the default playback device is automatically switched to the newly plugged in USB headphones - we don't want this, we want the user to manage the default playback device.  This does not occur on a standard Windows 7 thick client desktop which I would view as "normal" behaviour.  When plugging in the USB headphones the currently set default playback device remains as the default device and does not flick over to the headphones.

Anyone know if the above is expected behaviour in a View environment?  Is it possible to control this so that Windows 7 keeps it's default playback device regardless of what is plugged in and allow the user to change the default playback device when required?

Cheers

gogogo5

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Le0Getz
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issue.  Has anyone had a solution for this?

0 Kudos
MarkusHartmann
Contributor
Contributor

same here, any suggestions?

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can filter the device such that the headphones do not auto connect... that would leave their sound in place until they explicitly allowed the headphones access to the virtual desktop. Its not a pretty solution but it would give the user control over whether or not they used the default or the USB headphones while still letting them plug them in whenever or leaving them plugged in.

https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmware-horizon-view-usb-device-redirection.pdf

0 Kudos