VMware Horizon Community
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dedicated Pool does user assignment keep same pc name after recompose?

Hello, We would like to create a Dedicated Pool and have the user always get the same Desktop.  I know this can be done, but what im wondering is after a user has been assigned a Desktop, will they get the same Desktop/PC Name after a Recompose?

I ask because we have a citrix application that seems to have its Printer Settings related to the PC Name.  We are using Floating Pools at the moment, and ide like to keep it that way, but the application seems to care about pc name.

So what ide like to do is setup Dedicated Pools without Persistent Disks, and have the Desktop Refresh every night.  Kind of simulating a Floating Pool, except when the user logs in the next morning they should get the same desktop and PC name.

But if a Recompose happens, lets say we recompose because of updates, will the user assignment stay and give them they same Desktop/PC Name?

I havent had time to test this out, wondering if anybody knows

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vTimD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To answer your question simply, yes. If you have a dedicated assignment pool, then no matter if it is a refresh or a recompose, the dedicated-assignment user will always persist. The DNS name entries and user assignments will always show up in View, even if a recompose is underway. There will just be a task showing on the console that says "recompose". This setup should work just fine for the use case you described. Hope this info helps.

-vTimD http://www.vtimd.com If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
Jubish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi defogger,

User assignment will be intact post any View Composer maintenance operations (Refresh, Recompose, Rebalance).

Thanks,

Jubish

0 Kudos