VMware Horizon Community
gri2321
Contributor
Contributor

Dedicate a desktop to a specific Thin Client

Looking at replacing a lab with Thin Clients and due to license agreements I would need to lock down the desktops to just a certian area.

I do not want to give access to a User and have them be able to log onto that desktop from anywhere.

Is there a way to lock the desktop down to a specific IP address or Mac address.

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
4 Replies
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. Kiosk mode does this. Take a look at the Kiosk mode information in the View documentation.

This is very common for lab/classromm environments.

Mark 

0 Kudos
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I too had a situation where I wanted this and Kiosk mode is great but has the issue of locking the Virtual Desktop to auto-login with one user account as well. According to my Teradici setup I can either have the client use 'custom-XXX' as an account or 'cm-<mac address>' as an account.  Appearently there is no way to have a Zero-Client assigned to a specific desktop but have anyone login.

I would essential like to have a setting in VMware View where I could assign a Device to a Desktop not a user.  This way anyone could log into View on the Zero-Client, but get the specific desktop I want assigned to that zero-client.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You just need to disable Single Sign-on on the virtual desktop. Then the users can log in as themselves.

Mark

0 Kudos
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks

0 Kudos