VMware Horizon Community
CaseyCasems
Contributor
Contributor

Decent USB Printer for Linked Clones

We have several linked clone pools and for the most part users print to network printers.  We do have a handfule that will still require their own local printer and our old H are not working at all.  We purchased a HP LaserJet P1102w as a test unit but the drivers are built in it appears to we cannot load the drivers on the base vm before we build the linked clone pool.

Does anyone know of a decent little USB printer that works well with linked clone pools.

Thanks

Casey

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DKatman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very timely question (and good that I noticed it).

We have been in the same situation with the same printer. We kept waiting for the next update to make these work.

We just tested out the HP P2035. I used rewards points to buy them from HP. It tested really well in our main office.

We just sent out a printer to a remote site and had excellent results, speed and quality. I just ordered about 9 more. I probably shouldn't tell you that. They will probably all be gone now the next time we need some. Maybe HP will get the hint that we WANT this type of printer with this type of driver.

As an FYI - This is what we have done to make deployment a snap (I apologize if everyone else is well aware of this and we jsut felt smart doing so):

On the golden image, We added the printer. We created a new port (I just named it fake_HP). We added the drivers saying we had them on a disk. We navigated to where we had them stored. We went through the installation.

Once complete, we deleted this fake printer.

Our users are not admins and cannot load drivers (They are already installed).

When they plug in the printer, it does its dance with no user intervention and then just works.

We were very happy to find this solution.

Good Luck,
Dave

CaseyCasems
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info, gonna give one a try

Thanks again

Jim

0 Kudos