VMware Horizon Community
Mickelonis
Contributor
Contributor

Dearest VMware.... (monitor configurations & PCoIP)

Dearest VMware,

1. Why is it that screen resolutions are set on a per pool basis?

2. Why is it that my users can't configure their monitors how they want them configured... If they have dual monitors, then they should be allowed to configure those monitors how they like.

3. Why is it that we are locked into one of your pre-defined screen resolutions... What if I have a user that wants to run dual monitors with a screen resolution of 1680x1050....

You're greatest fan,

-Pete

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MicahelMenne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are not locked to these resolutions. These are maximums for RAM sizing purposes. I frequently switch between single monitor, dual-monitor, and 1280x1024 and 1600x1050 without issues.

Mickelonis
Contributor
Contributor

Hrm.

Say I use a P20 device...

I connect to the pool and right click the desktop, hit properties...

Sometimes the "Settings" tab is missing. Wyse told me that when you connect via PCoIP, it removes the Settings tab. Well, that can't be the case because I get it sometimes....

Either way, "this time" I have the settings tab.... I can enable the monitor on the right, but the max I can go is 1440x900 (native screen res is 1680x1050). If I try to put the right monitor at the native resolution it goes into standby mode and "extend my windows desktop to this monitor" gets unchecked.

1. Why does sometimes the "Settings" tab disappear thus not allowing me to tinker with the resolutions and monitor configurations?

2. Why can I not pump the resolution on the right monitor to match the left monitor?

Thanks,

-Pete

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

The settings tab is removed since it is not a good idea for the end user to change this setting, it can cause problems.

You can get it back by changing a registry key, but it is not recommended.

The resolution should be matching the monitor resolution independent if the are different size.

Maybe the vm is not configured properly? Have a look at this blogpost to get it right:

http://www.thatsmyview.net/2009/12/18/how-to-get-pcoip-with-view-4-to-work-every-time/

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
jolleyutah
Contributor
Contributor

Pete, which version of P20 firmware are you running?

If you are in fact connecting via PCoIP, this should all just work.

My bet is that the connection is not going over PCoIP and therefore

is confused as to which way is up.

While connected, check to see if pcoip_server_win32.exe is running as a

process. If it is not, the connection is likely not PCoIP.

Also while connected, check to see what the Virtual Infrastructure Client shows

for the console of the VM to which your connected.

If it is showing "This workstation is in use and locked" you are not connecting

with PCoIP but rather RDP. The console should be completely black.

Yours Truly,

-D

0 Kudos