VMware Horizon Community
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

DR suggestion

We have a current VDI implementation where the Apps provider was the one who designed the whole Horizon View infrastructure.

Ou concern was, they used 3 hosts but is deployed in such a way that 1 host per site (3 sites setup).

An RDSH host setup for 1 application is the project. They said that they had a previous VDI implementation using this setup

My question is:

1. I'll have to create replica connection servers on site 2 and 3 since in site 1, the original connection server will be deployed in site 1?

2. How about the RDSH host in site 1? Do I have to clone the site 1 RDSH host to site 2 and 3?

3. The setup will be managed by vCenter server in site 1. If site 1 goes down, can they still use the published apps if they use it in site 2 or 3?

This is the first time that an implementation of this kind will be doing with ours.

Thanks!

6 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert

1.) Yes, you will need to have connection servers available at each site and load balance in some fashion if you want to be able to sustain a host failure. I'm assuming your connection servers are the end point and you don't have any UAG or security servers.

2.) You will need rdsh servers in the other sites as well. They don't need to be a clone but must have the application installed. These RDSH servers will need to be joined in a farm within View and that farm will serve the application.

3.) If vcenter goes offline, nothing will happen to the published apps.

Magneet
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

to add a bit, you indeed need connection servers at each site but those have to form seperate pods so you can't use replicated connection servers. It might work if latency is low enough but you are running in an unsupported situation when making it one big pod.

ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

Seperate POD is another vcenter Server in other site?

Or 1 vCenter but I will create separate connection servers instance?

Or is it all sites will have connection servers and not replica servers?

My concern this should be seamless failover from user side.

All sites are going to be in a different IP segment?

Does I need that the RDSH hosts are clustered using one single public IP?

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

If by sites you mean other datacenters / connections over WAN then you need to read the documentation on cloud pods.

Documentation for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.0

Introduction to Cloud Pod Architecture

The Cloud Pod Architecture feature uses standard View components to provide cross-datacenter administration, global and flexible user-to-desktop mapping, high availability desktops, and disaster recovery capabilities.

Understanding Cloud Pod Architecture

With the Cloud Pod Architecture feature, you can link together multiple View pods to provide a single large desktop and application brokering and management environment.

A View pod consists of a set of View Connection Server instances, shared storage, a database server, and the vSphere and network infrastructures required to host desktop virtual machines and application pools. In a traditional Viewimplementation, you manage each pod independently. With the Cloud Pod Architecture feature, you can join together multiple pods to form a single View implementation called a pod federation.

A pod federation can span multiple sites and datacenters and simultaneously simplify the administration effort required to manage a large-scale View deployment.

ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

Can I do the cloud POD using one vcenter with 3 datacenters or does it need per POD has its own vCenter?

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

I've never used one vcenter for multiple pods so can't speak to that. Based on documentation, one vcenter can support a pod but I don't see multiple pods connecting to one vcenter if one the same LAN (not WAN). I would say not supported.

For DR/HA scenario that you're asking about, I highly suggest at least a vcenter at each location to manage the machines/view composer etc. You can link the vcenters together for easier management.

Deployment Options for vCenter Server in a Horizon View Pod - YouTube

0 Kudos